Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1994 S500 Sedan
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Winter in Chicago is going to be crazy again this year.
Any suggestions on how to protect the car for driving in winter?

I know it's risky to drive a 1994 rust-free W140 in salt. Also trying to give my S500 as much protection as I can. But sometimes I just have no choice. :cry:

·
Premium Member
'99 S420 116K
1,437 Posts
When living in PA and now down heah in Fl all my vehicles are coated with Colonite 845 wax, an industrial and Marine grade coating. I coat everything, glass, paint, rubber, plastic, chrome. Nowadays they offer ceramic coatings, I'll be doing that ASAP, hopefully.

That's the top of the car, but we all know it's the bottom that's the problem. I've seen people spray used motor oil on the undersides, but I'm sure there are other products that are better for protection and the environment.

Reactions: ianrandom and Zgui

·
1995 Mercedes S420, 1995 SL320, 2000 Land Rover Discovery II, 1985 Lotus Turbo Esprit
1,893 Posts
Good coat of wax, good winter tires, and take the car to the car wash at least once a week to rinse the salt off the underside.

Salt does damage when it's allowed to sit on the metal and rot it. Keep it clean and you won't have much of a problem. If you really want extra protection, get a Waxoyl treatment on the undercarriage. It's really the best thing you can do if you're really concerned about corrosion.

·
Registered
95,94,93 e320/300e
65 Posts
If I lived in the Midwest again I’d drive an awd with snow tires winter beater. The rust.. no matter what you do it’ll eventually happen. I had a Volvo 850 when I lived out there. Galvanized body so never had a problem with rust.

I would just keep the 140 in the garage and drive the w220

·
SuperModerator
1986/1990 W126
14,792 Posts
Get some proofing spray on it beforehand and you should be fine. Personally I never found Waxoyl very good, but a professional treatment is probably well worth the money because they'll get in all the nook and crannies. So I would recommend that in your sitaution.

I don't know if you guys get Bilt Hamber products over the pond, but those are the best ones I've found so far. Dynax S-50 has a great multidirectional spray head so you can stick it up into cavity areas and it covers well. My old W126 flies throught the UK salt every year and it does fine with the right care and attention. As Thom says, definitely be rinsing off the underside.

For the top of the car I use Klasse sealant.

Reactions: Zgui

·
Premium Member
'97 CL600
2,999 Posts
Winter in Chicago is going to be crazy again this year.
Any suggestions on how to protect the car for driving in winter?

I know it's risky to drive a 1994 rust-free W140 in salt. Also trying to give my S500 as much protection as I can. But sometimes I just have no choice. :cry:
Chicago??? How about bullet proof windows for a start??

·
Registered
1994 S500 Sedan
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you guys for all these great responses. I will get some wax for the car before it sees the first snow of this year.
One more question (that might sound silly). As I'm going to wash the car once a week to get rid of the salt. Is it necessary to wax the undercarriage again after it's washed? (Thinking that the wax might be washed away by high-pressure water?)

·
SuperModerator
1986/1990 W126
14,792 Posts
Yeah you just want to rinse really rather than blast it directly. Waxes are different consistency so you'll have to be a bit careful.

Reactions: Zgui

·
Registered
95,94,93 e320/300e
65 Posts
Here’s how your Chicago morning is gonna start off..

Then this is how it could be.,

·
1995 Mercedes S420, 1995 SL320, 2000 Land Rover Discovery II, 1985 Lotus Turbo Esprit
1,893 Posts
Thank you guys for all these great responses. I will get some wax for the car before it sees the first snow of this year.
One more question (that might sound silly). As I'm going to wash the car once a week to get rid of the salt. Is it necessary to wax the undercarriage again after it's washed? (Thinking that the wax might be washed away by high-pressure water?)
No... if you do an undercarriage treatment with Waxoyl or a similar product, it will last for a very long time regardless of how many washes you do. It will at the very least get you through the season, if not two or three more.

·
Registered
1994 S500 Sedan
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Thanks again for these helpful responses. Do you guys also know how to fix that shifter surrounding? The edge is uneven, and I tried to push it back to its place, but it's not moving at all.
IMG_9394.JPG

·
Registered
95 E320 Cabriolet, 97 S420
276 Posts
Disregard the negative commentary on W140s in snow--I was actually looking into this myself, my 97 S420 is my DD and it could see some light snow this winter. Evidently with proper snow tires + ASR, the W140s are pretty good in snow. I just bought a set of factory 16inch 8-holes to put snow tires on so there's more side wall than would have on my 18inch mono blocks.

·
Registered
1994 S600 Coupe, 1995 S600 Coupe
2,461 Posts
Thanks again for these helpful responses. Do you guys also know how to fix that shifter surrounding? The edge is uneven, and I tried to push it back to its place, but it's not moving at all.
View attachment 2650999
Take it off, and trim the underside with a Dremel tool so it sits lower. I've had to fix mine that way.

Jon

1 - 14 of 14 Posts