Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

One of my rear struts looks like it has failed, the car sags on that side.

I'm going to order some struts from arnotts but it may take a while to ship internationally.

What I'm interested in is there going to be much damage if I drive to work and back on it? It's is only a short drive, about 5 km. I know I may damage the strut further or even the one on the other side but I'm going to replace both anyway. Is there anything else I might damage?
Thanks Josh
1999 w220 s500

·
Registered
224 Posts
Mine just did the same. I if I go fast 50mph and hit bump or a dip then the tire touches the fender. But if I go slow (well as slow as I can) it is fine. I know the pump is working overtime but what can I do. My shock was shipped today. So I am just waiting for the arrival and I will replace it.
I think you will be fine for a while, just go slow LOL but you know you are killing the pump :(

·
W221 & Audio Moderator
10,864 Posts
Perhaps a bit more than a year ago, one member posted a HIGHLY temporary repair using a short length of 2x4 lumber - I don't recall whether he placed it in the springs or in some other part of the suspension. I don't have it bookmarked, it's a highly unorthodox temp fix, and I'd hate to see anyone try to use it for more than a day or two. But perhaps a search will bring it up for you.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Monkey Magic & Ramunsa: I had the same problem about a month ago. My rear right air shock went out on my '00 S500. As a result, the car was leaning hard to the right and seemed to make the right front sag. I had no choice but to drive the car, but luckily I only had to drop off / pickup my kids from school (about 10 miles round trip). The best advice I can give you is.. DRIVE SLOW!! Avoid the freeways/expressways if possible. You are right in your assessment that the air pump is definitely working overtime, so keep that in mind. Shocks aren't cheap but thanks to Arnott, you don't have to spend and arm and a leg. Personally, I'm putting money aside each month to replace the left passenger shock and the two front struts. Remember, it's not a matter of "if", but "when" will the Airmatic start to fail.

McNeil

1 - 4 of 4 Posts