Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
Mercedes E200 black. Mercedes 300ce - sold.
761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi all,

just discovered a new thing on my 300ce

when town driving, and on them twisty B roads, and your feeling in a spritely mood, put the auto lever in 3 and leave it there

my god, its like having a proper sports car!!!

she pulls loads better off the line and you actually have heaps of engine breaking when you take the foot off the gas!!

it almost feels like a manual car the way it responds.

going round corners is one of my ce strengths anyway as she is lowered with some bigger rims and a set of decent tyres, but sometimes she will step out if she changes up or down through the corner, this is to be expected anyway in a RWD but with the leaver in 3, there is no risk of her changing when you least want her to.

anyone else tried this?

cheers
Ben

·
Registered
141 Posts
Couple days ago experienced the same with my car.You are right-the response is much better than "D".But I asked myself"how long the car can handle it?" and since I couldn't find an answer-just stopped driving it in "3".In 528i i had before you can switch to "3" anytime-either you are moving or not.Didn't have enough courage to try the same with the Benz.If someone knows-can you please explain the purpose of "3" and how to use it?
Thanks.

·
Registered
2004 SL55 AMG
505 Posts
What the hell--just shift it

Hey Russo and Ben,

On the two-lane blacktop roads around the foothills here, I shift between 2 and 3 all the time, taking my foot off the gas in between gears as if I had a real clutch and 4-speed tranny. No doubt, this behavior adds wear and tear. I've racked up about 20K miles on this car in 15 months; mostly freeways. I'll let you know when it craps out.

Cheers!

Dave

·
Registered
1994 Mercedes E320
150 Posts
you can switch from D to 3 while in motion. if you are in third gear, then it will not matter, but in 4th gear don't have your foot on the gas. in my car, after i put the lever in 3, it will hold 4th gear until i step on the gas and then it will engage the 3rd gear. it does liven the performance up, but there is a bushing in between D and 3 and it can wear out, so don't use it too much.

·
Registered
Benz 260E and others
349 Posts
You said: ''she pulls loads better off the line ''
This is pure imagination. Off the line, the car's transmission acts exactly the same with either the shifter on 3 or 4.
The only thing different is that the transmission will not shift to 4th gear at higher speed .
Another said: ''there is a bushing in between D and 3 and it can wear out''
There is no bushing between 3rd and 4th gear.
The bushings are in the shifter and no harm is done when shifting between 3rd and 4th, not more than shifting between Park and reverse.
When in 3rd or 2nd gear, make sure you no not over rev. the engine

·
Registered
1990 300CE
26 Posts
What do you guys think the optimal RPM is for shifting at when going for speed? Or does this differ from car to car. I have the 24v CE.

·
Registered
91' 300E
30 Posts
I was just out driving earlier and I experienced the exact same thing you are all referring to. I find that if you are at a roll of about 30km/h then drop it into 2, floor it then wait til about 5000 rpm and throw it into 3 you get the most power. Its probably really bad for the car but i love it haha

·
Registered
141 Posts
So,let's say I want to floor it from the full stop.I should go 2-3-D or just 2-3?And can I downshift for example in a corner 3-2?Man, it's time to get a manual....
P.S.Honestly,all the staff sounds like a rape for the tranny (well,it's my second car with auto and I was somehow always sceptic about hard driving on the auto),but I see many of you guys use it.

·
Registered
see my signature.
909 Posts
When I take off, I usually put it in two if I feel like spirited driving!!!!

The problem with me car is that if you leave it in "D" from a takeoff, it wants to start out in second gear. By putting it into "2" you are telling it you want a FIRST GEAR START!!! That is why when you put t in "2" from a dead stop, you get good acceleration... You are engaging first. It doesn't do that, unless you go Wide Open off the line, and hit the kickdown, and in that case, it shift down into first for optimal acceleration.

·
Registered
1994 Mercedes E320
150 Posts
Jackd said:
There is no bushing between 3rd and 4th gear.
that is why i said "D and 3" that signifies the lever, there is no Dth gear.

the bushing can wear out, as mine has before, becasue of too much changing between D and 3.

as for optimal revving, when the engine is cold, you want to rev early, but fully warmed up, i like to take it to about 3000 rpm before shifting from 1st and 2nd, then i take to the speedlimit in third if i'm in the city, on the freeway onramp however, i take it to about 3250 rpm before i put it in 4th. note i control this with the throttle, not the lever. as for starting in 1st, that is only when i put it in 2 then back to D.

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i think some have missed what i ment, i dont shift the lever about when im driving, i sim[ply leave the shifter in 3 all the time

she will still change down to first and second of her own acord but, to me , she feels a lot better than the standard D

i dont play about moving the shifter all the time, i mearly set off with the lever in the 3 position and leave it there.

also, she will set off in first instead of 2nd if i leave the lever in 3

i get a ton of engine braking when i take my foot off the gas and a nice rumble from the exhAust as she winds down herself. (stainless custom exhaust does help mind!!)

·
Registered
Benz 260E and others
349 Posts
'''So,let's say I want to floor it from the full stop.I should go 2-3-D or just 2-3?'''

Itmakes absolutely no difference. With the shifter in either 2, 3 or D, if you floor it from a full stop, the transmission and engine will react exactly the same, with not more or no less power.
Flooring it from a full stop will make the transmission shift in 1st gear (remember, most W124 will normally take off in second gear,)
Using the shifter to select 2nd or 3rd gear while driving only result in staying in that particular gear until you decide to shift again.
The very best acceleration from a dead start is always achieved by leaving the shifter at ''D'' and let the tranny do it's things. It will use the best shift point, given the RPM limitations, torque curve and speed.
There was a very good road test article in MB Word a few months ago of a 2004 E55 with a 5 speed automatic tranny where professionnal drivers tried all kind of manual shifting combinations. At the end of the day, ''D'' resulted in the best acceleration.

·
Registered
E320 wagon
953 Posts
By the torque charts ,anything over 3500 rpm is a waste when climbing . I would only get over 5000 - 6000 for a short burst. Long climbs in 3rd will rev. you too high at 80 -85 mph.

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
maybe my box is messed up then because she still changes gear.

i litteraly start the car, move the selector to 3 and leave it there all day long. no extra shifting it to 2 or D, i simply leave it in 3.

she will change up and down but with more of an energetic feel as she wont go into 4th.

it maybe just my car, but she sets off in first at the lights / junction without me having to touch the gear lever at all, as i said, start the car, move selector to 3 and go, I DO NOT MOVE THE SELECTOR ABOUT AT ALL, only to put it into 3 at start-up

·
Registered
1998 Lexus LS400 / 1991 500SL
52 Posts
Nice looking car Ben.

I am in Plymouth as well, and have a 1989 W124 300E saloon, which is my daily driver.

I used to have a E320 coupe a few years back, I sooo regret selling it.

Cheers,

Richard

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
hi Richard,

thanks for the compliment on my car.

i have sent you a private message.
Cheers
Ben

·
Registered
1994 Mercedes E320
150 Posts
Jackd said:
'''So,let's say I want to floor it from the full stop.I should go 2-3-D or just 2-3?'''

Itmakes absolutely no difference. With the shifter in either 2, 3 or D, if you floor it from a full stop, the transmission and engine will react exactly the same, with not more or no less power.
Flooring it from a full stop will make the transmission shift in 1st gear (remember, most W124 will normally take off in second gear,)
Using the shifter to select 2nd or 3rd gear while driving only result in staying in that particular gear until you decide to shift again.
The very best acceleration from a dead start is always achieved by leaving the shifter at ''D'' and let the tranny do it's things. It will use the best shift point, given the RPM limitations, torque curve and speed.
There was a very good road test article in MB Word a few months ago of a 2004 E55 with a 5 speed automatic tranny where professionnal drivers tried all kind of manual shifting combinations. At the end of the day, ''D'' resulted in the best acceleration.

actually, if shifted into 2 then back into D, i find that i have the best acceleration. the gear that is started in is still 1st, like in 2, but it shifts efficiently like in D and you don't have to wait for kickdown. try it out. if put into 2 then D and floored from a start, the performance is better than just leaving it in D and flooring it.

as for performance mapping, it makes no difference. the only thing that changes is the gears started in or the highest gear possible to use.

that e55 doesn't apply to a w124, they are completely different cars. the e55 has a different tranny that starts in 1st gear. the w124 starts in 2nd gear for fuel economy. besides, they are different cars.

·
Registered
93' 300D 2.5T
44 Posts
haha ive done that too i got a 300 D 2.5 turbo, i popped it in 3rd going 85 on uphill from denver and passing everyone with no problems. its amazing, it also helped clear the carbon build too.

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
crazypolok said:
haha ive done that too i got a 300 D 2.5 turbo, i popped it in 3rd going 85 on uphill from denver and passing everyone with no problems. its amazing, it also helped clear the carbon build too.
mine has been starting and running a lot better since iv been running her in 3 for a few days now, maybe something to do with the carbon build up you mentioned???

1 - 20 of 20 Posts