Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1985 190D
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Driving to family reunion when felt slight rumble and lost power. Engine was fine, first thought was flex disk failure. Drive, reverse and even park had no effect.

Tow truck brought the car home, but when at an angle ascending or descending the ramp, she was dumping transmission fluid? Of course I’m thinking what the hell?

The nut that holds the yoke onto the rear case had fallen off, separating the drive shaft from the transmission. The fluid was from the rear seal which was lacking the yoke body to seal against.

I am now dropping the pan to look for metal and any other damage.

Anyone else with similar experiences? Can I just install a new seal and nut and call it good to go?

Is there a good manual available for the transmissions? Mine shifts very smoothly from 2, 3 to 4 but holds first much too long before shifting to second. I would like to work on this while I’m under there.

Attachments

·
Registered
'87--190E 2.3-16v(being rebuilt), '99--C230 Kompressor
3,488 Posts
i'd wait and see if there is any internal damage first. those nuts are "supposed" to have a piece to bend that locks the nut on to prevent just this from happening... and i believe that you are the first one that this has happened to on this forum..or atleast the first that said something about it.

has anyone messed with the transmission before? you should look into the history of it before you go much farther..

·
Registered
2000 E55 AMG
85 Posts
Some blue loc-tite wouldn't be a bad idea either. But definitely drop the pan to see if there's any unusual shavings on the magnet.

·
Registered
1985 190D
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've had the car for a little over a year. The trany has been changed, it's a 722.414 not the original.

All the splines look fine, no chunks or any sign of metal wear in the pan or removed oil.

I'll likely reinstall with new hardware and flex disk and call it good.

Would like to find a manual in case I'll need to rebuild in the future. I've rebuilt about all else on this car other than the engine, but I have done others before. A trany would be a new thing for me.

Found this
Mercedes Automatic Transmission repair parts, supply the parts save money! - Drivetrain.com

looking for information. They have kits and manuals. Like to hear others experiences before buying any manuals.

·
Registered
1991 190e 2.6 automatic
760 Posts
nope never had that happend to me before.. seems like there was previous driveshaft work and something wasn't tightened properly perhsaps

·
Registered
1985 190D
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Screwed

Well I’m screwed. Replaced the nut, seal, flex disks, filter and fresh transmission oil. Nothing….. no engagement in any of the gears, except Park.

Must have done some internal damage to the trany when the drive shaft separated?

How is the reliability of the manual transmission? There is one near here, with all the parts for exchange, with 134K miles, claims to have been running well before removal.

Any good sources for used or rebuilt automatic?

How difficult is the swap from auto to manual?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts