Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a clang sound from somewhere on the drive line or maybe the end of the transmission. With one rear wheel jacked up I can rotate the tire about 1" on outer diameter. That seems like a lot. Laying under the car and turning the tire I can hear a distinct metallic clang but cant determine where it is coming from, the center of the driveshaft? which is hidden by exhaust and shields or perhaps the rear of the transmission. If I hold the driveshaft there is about 1/2" of tire travel. The front and rear driveshaft donuts look in very good shape. I have 95K miles on the car. I see in EPC there is a center u joint and carrier bearing.

Anyone else ever replaced the middle parts?

PS how do you search just a specific forum on the new platform?

·
Registered
4,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
98 SL500

Not flexdiscs, they look in excellent shape. There may be more than one issue, not sure at this point. There is some free play in the rear diff, I can turn the tire about 1/2 inch while holding the driveshaft still. IF I dont hold the driveshaft I get 1" of tire rotation. You can sometimes hear the noise driving stop go at a stoplight. That's how I first discovered it last week.

Neither of those 2 items explain the clanging sound. Definitely something metallic sounding. If I had to guess I would go for the u-joint or center support. It's weird that under the car I cant tell where the sound comes from.

I'm pretty much done driving this car for the year, so going after the driveshaft will be one of my winter project.

Anyone ever hear of output shaft issues on the trans?

·
Outstanding Contributor
21,849 Posts
Gonna need a video I think.

I’ve had the exhaust Down on early m119 r129 Cars, and it hasn’t been too bad of a job. The diagonal supports are interesting and worth making sure they are tight. Heat shields. As of course the center bearing (which sounds like the most likely culprit to me). Does the clang happen when you hit the gas and/or let off?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts