Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2000 ml320
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed last week that the wifes ml had a slight growl around 30mph. I changed gears while keeping the speed constant and the sound stayed consistant, so it wasnt the transmission. It didn't sound like it was coming from a corner, so I started looking at driveline. I did a quick search of likely issues, and the carrier bearing was the likely problem. I told the wife to keep an ear out for it, and a few days later she told me the growl had become a roar. I jacked the ml up and slid my excessive girth underneath. The bearing seemed to have some play, so I assumed that it was the culprit.

With only twelve bolts holding the entire assy in place, it should not have been that hard to remove, and 10 of the 12 were fairly straight forward. The two that hold the carrier in place were a little tougher. I was able to slide an air ratchet up there, and once heated and broken loose, they came out easily. Once I got the driveshaft out and apart, the bearing was locking up, so it had been a good guess.

Then came the act of finding a new carrier on a holiday weekend...no luck.

I really needed to get the ml back on the road, so started looking at the carrier. Mine was in very good shape. The rubber was almost perfect, so I started looking at how to take it apart. I figured it out, and punched the bearing out. Luckily, it was marked, and this is the most important part. Nowhere online was the bearing size listed, and I was unable to find anyone who listed the information. The bearing is a 6006 with double rubber seals. The physical size is 30mm id, 55mm od, and 13mm thick.

Then came the task of finding the bearing on a holiday. The only places open where auto parts stores, and most of the guys working behind the counter couldnt find their asses with both hands and a map. When you give them the bearing size, and they still ask what it's for, then claim that it's a dealer only part, I wanted to get ugly. I spent many years as a parts/service manager, and have a short temper for stupid parts guys.

I was unable to locate the bearing on monday, so I had to wait a day. This morning I called the mb dealer just to see if they had the part. The carrier wasn't in stock, and at $280 I didn't feel like ordering it. I called a real bearing shop, and they had 30 of them in stock at a whopping $11 each.

After putting everything back together, no more noises from the driveline. I figure I saved somewhere north of $500. If the rubber had been bad, then it would have cost me the $300 for the genuine carrier, and the extra time to order it in. Instead, the repair cost me $11. I'm good with that.

·
Registered
12 ML350 (gas),10 E5504M, 03 ML350 (Gone 07 E5504M 03 E500 Sport 03 ML500, 96 C36, 86 190E 2.3-16V)
137 Posts
I noticed last week that the wifes ml had a slight growl around 30mph. I changed gears while keeping the speed constant and the sound stayed consistant, so it wasnt the transmission. It didn't sound like it was coming from a corner, so I started looking at driveline. I did a quick search of likely issues, and the carrier bearing was the likely problem. I told the wife to keep an ear out for it, and a few days later she told me the growl had become a roar. I jacked the ml up and slid my excessive girth underneath. The bearing seemed to have some play, so I assumed that it was the culprit.

With only twelve bolts holding the entire assy in place, it should not have been that hard to remove, and 10 of the 12 were fairly straight forward. The two that hold the carrier in place were a little tougher. I was able to slide an air ratchet up there, and once heated and broken loose, they came out easily. Once I got the driveshaft out and apart, the bearing was locking up, so it had been a good guess.

Then came the act of finding a new carrier on a holiday weekend...no luck.

I really needed to get the ml back on the road, so started looking at the carrier. Mine was in very good shape. The rubber was almost perfect, so I started looking at how to take it apart. I figured it out, and punched the bearing out. Luckily, it was marked, and this is the most important part. Nowhere online was the bearing size listed, and I was unable to find anyone who listed the information. The bearing is a 6006 with double rubber seals. The physical size is 30mm id, 55mm od, and 13mm thick.

Then came the task of finding the bearing on a holiday. The only places open where auto parts stores, and most of the guys working behind the counter couldnt find their asses with both hands and a map. When you give them the bearing size, and they still ask what it's for, then claim that it's a dealer only part, I wanted to get ugly. I spent many years as a parts/service manager, and have a short temper for stupid parts guys.

I was unable to locate the bearing on monday, so I had to wait a day. This morning I called the mb dealer just to see if they had the part. The carrier wasn't in stock, and at $280 I didn't feel like ordering it. I called a real bearing shop, and they had 30 of them in stock at a whopping $11 each.

After putting everything back together, no more noises from the driveline. I figure I saved somewhere north of $500. If the rubber had been bad, then it would have cost me the $300 for the genuine carrier, and the extra time to order it in. Instead, the repair cost me $11. I'm good with that.
Saw your post in another thread and upon searching the forum found this thread.

Any chance you can explain in details how you managed to replace the bearing itself and not the entire assembly?

How did you press the bearing out of the rubber piece?

Thanks

·
Registered
2000 ml320
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Here is the carrier with the bearing removed.

You need a support large enough to hold the carrier. Drive the old bearing out. The seal will come out with it. Drive the new bearing in and reinstall the seal. I don't have a press. I used spacers, sockets, and a big hammer. It's pretty simple. If you can change a wheel bearing, this is a snap.

·
Registered
12 ML350 (gas),10 E5504M, 03 ML350 (Gone 07 E5504M 03 E500 Sport 03 ML500, 96 C36, 86 190E 2.3-16V)
137 Posts
Here is the carrier with the bearing removed.

You need a support large enough to hold the carrier. Drive the old bearing out. The seal will come out with it. Drive the new bearing in and reinstall the seal. I don't have a press. I used spacers, sockets, and a big hammer. It's pretty simple. If you can change a wheel bearing, this is a snap.
Very nice!

Although mine is still holding up fine but since I have over 170k km (little over 100k miles) I have to get prepared and when its time come I know how to deal with it.

You must be very mechanical inclined to think of a solution like this and for those that failed and if the rubber is still salvagable this is the way to good.

How many miles have you put on since the repair?

Thanks!

·
Registered
2000 ml320
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It has maybe 2500 miles on it since the repair. It's my wifes vehicle, and she doesn't drive it much.

·
Registered
137 Posts
It has maybe 2500 miles on it since the repair. It's my wifes vehicle, and she doesn't drive it much.
Great thanks!

Now I am prepared in case mine act funny and need not to worry a hefty bill if it goes bad.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts