Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1962 W111 220SE Coupe
2,289 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This isn't a question about the one-touch or how to re-sync the windows after a battery disconnect as I am familiar with those matters. My problem is that my driver's door power window will always roll down just fine. Over the last year on a very limited basis, maybe three times in total, it would have a problem rolling back up and today it won't go back up at all.

Whenever I try to roll it up, using one-touch or holding it down manually, it will only go about halfway up then stop, and immediately drop back down by abut an inch. I'm assuming this "drop down" is a clue to determining why it's doing this but I am not sure. If I try it over and over it may stop at slightly different places but it will always drop again each time it stops. It does this even if I'm still holding the button. Also, when it drops it is being powered to do so by the motor, almost as if I am hitting the button back down, but of course I am not. It is not simply free falling. It seems almost as if it's the detent, like what would happen if you had your fingers caught in there and it would back off so as not to crush them. Could there be something simple like maybe the track needing greased or something similar that is causing just enough physical resistance to cause the window to bind enough to drop back down?

Thanks all, I would love to fix this soon since an open window is never a good thing in any car. :)

·
Registered
1962 W111 220SE Coupe
2,289 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Since I posted my question a few hours ago I decided to go ahead and try the "old battery disconnect" since it seems to fix so many random, inexplicable problems these cars encounter. Well... it worked! I did have to reset the roof and windows but nothing else went down. Does anyone have an explanation why this worked? I'd love to hear the technical explanation if anyone has it.

·
Registered
1962 W111 220SE Coupe
2,289 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just wondering, how do you reset your windows?
After a battery disconnect the "one touch" up and down feature won't function so you will need to hold the button part of the way down, meaning just push it slightly down, not far enough that the secondary click activates. Hold the button in this manner until the window reaches all the way down, and keep holding it until you hear the window click. If you mess up don't worry, just start again. I don't remember if you need to do this going in the other direction, the window going up, but it's easy enough if so. The sunroof will only move a small amount at a time, like an inch or two, so keep jogging it back with the button over and over until it reaches the full open position, and hold until it clicks. It should then open and close smoothly. Note, the sunroof does not have a one touch in either direction on these cars so don;t spend all day trying to get it to work.

·
Registered
2000 C230 Kompressor
141 Posts
that's a really weird issue, it's possible the motor is on its way out. i just recently redid my driver's window and while aligning it I noticed the window at least went almost fully closed before the motor stopped (even at awkard angles).

·
Registered
'89 300SE; '76 300D; '99 C230 Kompressor
15 Posts
After a battery disconnect the "one touch" up and down feature won't function so you will need to hold the button part of the way down, meaning just push it slightly down, not far enough that the secondary click activates. Hold the button in this manner until the window reaches all the way down, and keep holding it until you hear the window click. If you mess up don't worry, just start again. I don't remember if you need to do this going in the other direction, the window going up, but it's easy enough if so. The sunroof will only move a small amount at a time, like an inch or two, so keep jogging it back with the button over and over until it reaches the full open position, and hold until it clicks. It should then open and close smoothly. Note, the sunroof does not have a one touch in either direction on these cars so don;t spend all day trying to get it to work.
Thanks a millon for this DirectLA. Please make a sticky on this!

·
Registered
1997 C280 (Cambria).
521 Posts
Iv disconnected my battery a million times and never had to resync or reset my windows or anything. One touch and summer convince feature work just fine.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts