Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1990 560 SEL with Euro engine, 1998 SL500 Sport
2,957 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. I need to remove the left side view mirror. The manual says to "push plastic lock out of handle by means of a screwdriver". I pocked and prodded for 20 minutes and couldn't see what they are talking about. It looks like the whole handle is molded.

Any clues or am I blind?

Attached is the pdf... hard to see... its all black with no detail. I don't want to break anything. The right side of the handle has some ridges on it but there doesn't seem to be any locking mechanism.

Attachments

·
Registered
'82 Euro 500SEL, '85 Euro 500SEC AMG WB Cabriolet,'86 Euro 500SEC RUF
9,487 Posts
I thought that there was an Allen screw on the forward side of the handle(about where the screwdriver blade is shown). Maybe it is just a plastic lock??, but that is where it is.

·
Registered
1993 300TE, 1995 E320 Wagon
1,895 Posts
I removed my mirrors once a while back, and I just went out and checked again. It's fairly easy to do:

1. Open door all the way.
2. Look on the front side (now facing the steering wheel) of the "knuckle" part of the mirror adjust handle and see that it's got a separate piece of plastic on the front, parallel to the shaft going out to the mirror. The plastic piece is in a slot on the main part of the "knuckle." In fact the "ridges" you saw/felt are the sides of this slot.
3. Using a small flat head screwdriver, push this piece out towards the mirror. You will see that the outside end of the moveable plastic piece clasps onto the mirror shaft.
4. The main part of the handle is hollow. The shaft from the mirror bends 90 degrees and goes into the handle. Once the first piece is removed, the handle pulls off, sliding parallel to the window (towards the rear of the door).
5. Once the handle is removed, I think the rest is relatively straightforward. The triangular trim piece comes off (gently pry up- I think it's held on with small plastic clips), revealing I think three screws to remove the mirror.

Best
Dave

·
Registered
2,957 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys.

I'll give it a shot tomorrow. It makes sense that the handle shaft is "L" shaped. So the ridges are for the screwdriver correct? In other words I position the flat head against the ridge(s) and push towards the outside of the car, right?

The passenger side was super easy.

·
Registered
1993 300TE, 1995 E320 Wagon
1,895 Posts
Here's a rough diagram (looking at the front of the "knuckle").

If the lighting is good, it's fairly easy to see.

Good luck!

Dave

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2012 CL550 4MATIC Coupe
9,985 Posts
Yes, Dave and that drawing is correct. You can't really see it bit on the BACK side there is a slot tab and you take your little screwdriver and slide it forward and out. That releases the Handle off. It just slides off from there. Then take your LSD and pop off the triangle trim piece and then there are three screws under there and a connector for the heater if so equipped.

Good Job Dave and good meeting you last week.

·
Registered
2,957 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, part of my problem was trying to do this in a partially lit garage.

Dave. Excellent explanation and diagram!!! Thanks.

Greg

1 - 7 of 7 Posts