Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello i just got a 92 500sl black on black with 92k on it the 2 problems that it has is the drivers seat doesnt work at all...passenger works fine.. all fuses are good. im getting no power at the drivers seat switch...when i move the drivers swich i hear nothing.. like the seat motor dead.... any help would be great....

second issue is i have 4 soft top lift cylinders leaking 1. pass right above the windsheld..2 drivers side tonno lock.. 3,4 are the mainlift cylinders... 1,2 look easy to replace but 3,4 look difficult, live in new hampshire and i cant seem to find anyone who rebuilds them... do they sell rebuild kits and how much would they cost... and my roll bar dosent work manually

please help thanks

·
Registered
mercedes 500sl r129 1990
24 Posts
With regards to driver seat there are 2 big brass screws under the front of the seat, undo those and remove. Then pull the seat hard from the front and the seat will come away. You will see lots of black boxs or conections under the seat pull each one with screwdriver or pliers and then replace. You will probably hear a tick like something has reset. Worked for me. Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using AG Free

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks found the screws pulled every conector apart ad still nothing.. also took the door panel off to see if there are any pinched wires and there isnt any... does anyone know what wire is the main feed to the seat... its wierd that all the fuses are good but i have no power at any of the plugs under the seat.... any help would be great..

·
Registered
1974 450sl, 1986 190e, 97 sl320 40th sold
506 Posts
hello i just got a 92 500sl black on black with 92k on it the 2 problems that it has is the drivers seat doesnt work at all...passenger works fine.. all fuses are good. im getting no power at the drivers seat switch...when i move the drivers swich i hear nothing.. like the seat motor dead.... any help would be great....

second issue is i have 4 soft top lift cylinders leaking 1. pass right above the windsheld..2 drivers side tonno lock.. 3,4 are the mainlift cylinders... 1,2 look easy to replace but 3,4 look difficult, live in new hampshire and i cant seem to find anyone who rebuilds them... do they sell rebuild kits and how much would they cost... and my roll bar dosent work manually

please help thanks
Get with klaus at tophydraulicsinc.com They are the best at rebuilding these !

·
Registered
mercedes 500sl r129 1990
24 Posts
Try doing it with the ignition on. It was the only way I could get mine to go. Sometimes it still plays up and I have to do the same on the passenger side. Mine is rhd so maybe try the other side. I have had all the issues you have now. Soft top still doesn't work. Uk eBay sells complete o ring replacement set for about £30 let me know if this helps and I will post the item number. Good luck. P.s Make sure battery is fully charged and in good working order.

·
Registered
1974 450sl, 1986 190e, 97 sl320 40th sold
506 Posts
Try doing it with the ignition on. It was the only way I could get mine to go. Sometimes it still plays up and I have to do the same on the passenger side. Mine is rhd so maybe try the other side. I have had all the issues you have now. Soft top still doesn't work. Uk eBay sells complete o ring replacement set for about £30 let me know if this helps and I will post the item number. Good luck. P.s Make sure battery is fully charged and in good working order.

This has been covered time and time again on here, do not buy the o rings they will not work. Not to mention you will likely damage your cylinders disassembling them. Send them to a trusted rebuilder like i suggested, it isnt that expensive and you will be happy you did !

·
Registered
1993 600SL, 1973 450 SL,1982 380SL,1998 SLK 230, 1968 Firebird, 2001 Dodge Ram 4x4,2005 Ford Escape
5,247 Posts
I echo that advice. Send them to Top Hydraulics and have them all done at once. Around $ 600. Or go to the $tealer with 10 to 12 grand and have them replace them ! Get the point ? If you screw with the o rings, you'll end up in a worse place than you are now. And heavens help you if you screw up your cylinders trying to rebuild them ! :D

·
Registered
mercedes 500sl r129 1990
24 Posts
Defiantly have them repaired by top hydraulics. But do yourself a favour and have them all replaced as if you just do the 4 then you can be sure that others will soon follow.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts