Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All
I recently purchased a 2003 SL500. I noticed there is a fog or haze covering about 2/3 of the drivers mirror. All the cleaning agents I've tried have failed to remove any of the spot. Looks like a defect in the glass. Car was from North Carolina. Anyone else had this issue? How did you resolve it? Is it easy to replace the mirror?

Also, the interior center vent nozzle (above the radio) is very tacky and discolored. Same cleaners have done nothing to fix the problem. Any ideas?
Thanks Jack

·
Registered
'07 GL320CDI
5,111 Posts
Except for the price ($3-400 for the glass) it's pretty easy to replace the mirror.

It's a self-dimming mirror and they contain liquid and electrical circuits and don't last forever.

I imagine new vent trim is less expensive.

·
Registered
2004 SL55
169 Posts
The vent buttons and radio knobs have a clear plastic coating. It goes bad over time. Just use some silicone tire gel and an old washcloth and rub until the coating dissolves. You can then wipe off the tire gel with a clean towel. The knobs and buttons look new. The coating was a bad idea that was not needed.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
where do you get your MB parts? All the mirrors I've priced have been $400-600. I eventually found one on ebay. Works great. Thanks for your reply.
Jack

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi Busaboy,
I have tried Goo gone, 409, Wizard vinyl cleaner, and alcohol but not silicone tire dressing. A flaw in the plastic coating would make sense because the side vents have the same sticky feel as the center vent. I thought perhaps it was some cleaning/detailing agent that reacted with the vent material. The vents are pretty bad but I will try the silicone and post the results. Thanks for your help.
Jack

·
Registered
5 Posts
I just picked up an 03 SL500 and had both these problems (and others) too.

For the mirror, I just picked up a cut to fit off the auction site for $20 or less. I don't care if it heats or auto dims, I just want to see clearly out it.

For the sticky stuff by center dash vents, another thread recommended Macguires cleaner wax. I picked some up and yes it does work. You have to push all that coating off until you have a nice black plastic underneath. The cleaner wax keeps it slippery while having some abrasiveness to do the job. I tried some goobgone, but it wans't working right and showed some signed that it may discolor so I did it the long way with the slippery stuff.

I also looked all over the internet trying to find a wood grain piece to go over that whole center vent area but could not find it. The shiny black looks much better once the sticky crud is gone.

Ken . . .

·
Registered
2004 CLK 500 Convertible
56 Posts
On another thread someone suggested Meguiars cleaner-wax. I used it on the sticky hvac knobs and vent area on dash - worked beautifully with no discoloration.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts