Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2001 ML430, 20" EuroKlasse MBR-4 wheels, 255/50 20 Continental CrossContact UHP, Aries Push Bar
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello fellow W163ers, finally have a question that I think the membership can offer some advice on. Have been getting this goo like substance on the outside of the drivers window on my 2001 ML430. Finally got around to looking in the door today and found a strip of asphalt type material attached to the inside sheet metal (there are actually two, this is the upper one) that has started to peel away. Is this a sound deadening material or does it serve some other purpose as well, mayebe rigidity? Anyways my first instinct was to peel it off and replace with a piece of Dynamat or something similar. Opinions?
Thanks in advance.

Attachments

·
Registered
2004 ML350
258 Posts
You are correct. It is factory applied sound deadening material. I covered mine with Dynamat. I guess you should remove what easily comes off and then cover it with Dynamat.
Joe

·
Registered
'07 C280 4matic, '06 530i, '98 ML320
1,562 Posts
Do they sell Dynamat at any local [Auto Parts] stores by Sq.Ft. ?

·
Registered
98 ML320
58 Posts
If u cant get Dynamat most local parts stores will sell some type of sound deadening material (evercoat Q-pads) and i've also used 3m ones as well, They come in 14" squares if i'm not mistaken

·
Registered
1999 MTrash 430, its a joke
190 Posts
You can get that sound deadening from the dealer. It was improved to incorporate a magnetic layer. It is also the exact same part that in on your roof above the headliner. So if you use your sunroof and start noticing that same stuff stuck on the outside of the sliding glass, you will know what it is.

·
Registered
'07 C280 4matic, '06 530i, '98 ML320
1,562 Posts
drewbush, I have been noticing that 'disintegrated sponge material' on my center console and seats from time to time. I couldn't figure out where it was coming from. No residue on the sunroof glass or channels; so, I thought it can't be sunroof. Now, I know where it is coming from. I suppose, we can't get rid of that old stuff without disassembling the entire sunroof (unlike the door).

·
Registered
2001 ML430, 20" EuroKlasse MBR-4 wheels, 255/50 20 Continental CrossContact UHP, Aries Push Bar
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sorry guys, was off the air for a few days. To follow up FYI I went to a local stereo shop I know that has bulk rolls of sound deadener (aka Dynamat). His is generic but is the same foil backed butyl rubber type material at a quarter of the price. $10 later I replaced both strips in the drivers door and away we go. Sorry I forgot to take a photo before I put the door panel back on. Probably going to do the passenger side one as well just for the heck of it. The lower drivers door one peeled off so easily, even though it looked in good shape, the passenger side ones probably will as well.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts