Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm having some issues with the outside lock button on my drivers door.

I have a 2004 with the Keyless-Go Option, and basically, the car won't lock when i push the outside button on the drivers door.

It works fine on the passenger door, I can unlock it (either side) no issues, start it no issues, stop it no issues, so don't think it has anything to do with the Keyless-Go Battery. The remote also functions normally when I press the lock or unlock buttons, so again, I don't think it's the remote.

This problem seems to have appeared after I went through a car wash last week (But again, the passenger side is OK). I have waited a week thinking that the lock mechanism just needed to dry out, but no luck.

So, is there a setting somewhere ? a fuse ? other ??:confused:

Any help would be appreciated before I decide to take it to the dealer.

Thanks in advance

-Stephen

·
Registered
579 Posts
My SL55 started doing the same thing after I drove it in some pretty good rain last week. Normally this car does not get much rain driving. After a few days I did some research here and found that you can take a very small screwdriver and pull back the rubber from the top on the button without harm. Behind that you will see the microswith. Cleaned it with a qtip with some WD on it. Low and behold the next day it starts working normally again. I also noticed that while it was not working the car would seem to have an issue when locking up with the fob. It seemed like the lights flashed more than normal when locking. Anyway its working fine again now. FYI a handle is about $ 250.00. Not sure about the labor. But I bet its more than the part at the dealer.

I think maybe my switch was stuck or something in the control module got wet.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My SL55 started doing the same thing after I drove it in some pretty good rain last week. Normally this car does not get much rain driving. After a few days I did some research here and found that you can take a very small screwdriver and pull back the rubber from the top on the button without harm. Behind that you will see the microswith. Cleaned it with a qtip with some WD on it. Low and behold the next day it starts working normally again. I also noticed that while it was not working the car would seem to have an issue when locking up with the fob. It seemed like the lights flashed more than normal when locking. Anyway its working fine again now. FYI a handle is about $ 250.00. Not sure about the labor. But I bet its more than the part at the dealer.

I think maybe my switch was stuck or something in the control module got wet.
I'll give it a try ! Thanks !

-Stephen

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, that didn't work out to well.... maybe I was to rough, or it's the 7 year old rubber.. but I ripped part of the button.

Is it possible to replace just the rubber button and NOT the handle ? I've seen mixed detail on this forum and would sure appreciate a clear answer.

Maybe I'll start checking some wrecking yards for used handle with the button in tact. Anyone know a part number or it the rubber button is 'universal' ?

Thanks

1 - 4 of 4 Posts