Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1978 300d
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my project for this afternoon is to fix the switch that turns on my interior lights when the driver's door opens. it only works when i wiggle the switch, so i think it's just a loose ground wire or something. can anyone tell me how to take that switch out? i've attached a picture to be more clear

thanks!

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have no idea how to fix it. but, mine was on the fritz for like 2 weeks. Then got into the car one day and poof it works. Unfortunately since my drivers side light began working my vacuum system began failing.

·
Premium Member
W-1-2-3 Go!
16,161 Posts
There are locking tabs behind it. See if you can wedge in a firm piece of plastic (old credit card, stiff cardboard, etc) with a strong edge to "push" the locking tabs inwards (towards the switch), from both sides (up and down). I don't want to say screw driver because that could scratch the paint. If you see the photo below the switch on your car is locked in place similarly.

The replacement units are much easier to remove, and have the disable function (pull the pin out) to temporarily disable the switch (working on the car with the door open and key in ignition will make the buzzer go off, pulling on this pin on the new version "cuts" the circuit temporarily). Upon closing the door the switch is reset to original configuration.

·
Registered
1978 300d
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
There are locking tabs behind it. See if you can wedge in a firm piece of plastic (old credit card, stiff cardboard, etc) with a strong edge to "push" the locking tabs inwards (towards the switch), from both sides (up and down). I don't want to say screw driver because that could scratch the paint. If you see the photo below the switch on your car is locked in place similarly.

The replacement units are much easier to remove, and have the disable function (pull the pin out) to temporarily disable the switch (working on the car with the door open and key in ignition will make the buzzer go off, pulling on this pin on the new version "cuts" the circuit temporarily). Upon closing the door the switch is reset to original configuration.

perfect! thanks for the help, this should hopefully be an easy fix :D

·
Registered
2004 CLK 500, 1983 300D Turbo Diesel, 2000 BMW M5, 2002 BMW M3, Ram 1500
159 Posts
Always learning something new. Like the new functionality it can have :thumbsup:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts