Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1998 C43 AMG, 2006 E500 4MATIC Estate
692 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So what's the deal with this thing? When I bought my C43 it was a nasty brown/goldish color and this morning it's officially started leaking this oil.

The manual says the external side mirrors are heated, but internet searches are also telling me (but the manual isn't) that the driver's side mirror is auto-dimming. But....if it is auto-dimming, where is the sensor?

I'm assuming the mirror has a little plastic plate in front of the actual mirror, where the oil sat (between this plate and the mirror) which is then kept in place by the outer plastic ring (which the passenger mirror doesn't have). I'm thinking about removing this ring and "faceplate" and completely draining this oil and clean the mirror itself.

Can anybody clarify is this thing is 1) Heated 2) Dimming 3) Both?

Thanks.

·
Registered
1991 W126 300SEL
306 Posts
So this is all based on both my w210 e320 and my old C5 4.2l a6 that both had this option and the sensor should be located on the rear view mirror at the bottom. Its there to gauge the the amount of light coming from the cars behind you and entering you rear window, causing your vision to be impaired because of the reflection off your rear view and side mirrors.

·
Registered
1998 C43 AMG, 2006 E500 4MATIC Estate
692 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So this is all based on both my w210 e320 and my old C5 4.2l a6 that both had this option and the sensor should be located on the rear view mirror at the bottom. Its there to gauge the the amount of light coming from the cars behind you and entering you rear window, causing your vision to be impaired because of the reflection off your rear view and side mirrors.
There is definitely no sensor anywhere on the viewable surface.

P.S. I know how auto-dimming works, btw. ;)

·
Registered
1991 W126 300SEL
306 Posts
No I get that but if you don't have the sensor then I have no clue. Guess they used some other method on these older models.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts