Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The other night I opened the front drivers side door for my 96 S420 and hear a pop and the door didn't want to shut. I forced it and was able to close it, but on further investigation notice that now the door swings open with ease, almost like a screen porch door without a spring.

I notice that the two bolts in the photo's are loose and when the door is shut I can only roll the window down about half way. When the door is closed the window will go down all the way.

Obviously something inside the door broke, but what? I can't find any schematic's to try and fiquire it out on my own and taking off the door panel for exploratory surgery isn't an option.

Anyone have an idea or information that may help me?

Door 001.jpg

Door 004.jpg

·
Registered
269 Posts
i have an issue with my driver's door as well. it doesn't really close all the way. its about a millimeter or two not closed. any idea what would do this?

·
Outstanding Contributor Always Remembered RIP
6,543 Posts
The door check strap has gone back into the door, and it will have to be replaced. You may have to take the door panel off to get to it

·
Registered
310 Posts
Incomplete Door Close

i have an issue with my driver's door as well. it doesn't really close all the way. its about a millimeter or two not closed. any idea what would do this?
Does your close assist work on this door, or any other doors ?

The close assist generally pulls the door tight.

If close assist not operating, then the latch/catch is a little too far "out" and has to be brought in.

The better choice is fix close assist system which puts your door in the proper close position automatically.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Does your close assist work on this door, or any other doors ?

The close assist generally pulls the door tight.

If close assist not operating, then the latch/catch is a little too far "out" and has to be brought in.

The better choice is fix close assist system which puts your door in the proper close position automatically.
no, none of my closing assist works at all. even if i reset the fuse and can hear the pump run when i don't close a door (any of them but the driver's door) all the way, it doesn't move that door/trunk at all. and are you talking about the latch/catch on the B pillar? and how do i bring it in? if you can post a video or a pic. lol i need to see these things visually.

·
Registered
412 Posts
The other night I opened the front drivers side door for my 96 S420 and hear a pop and the door didn't want to shut. I forced it and was able to close it, but on further investigation notice that now the door swings open with ease, almost like a screen porch door without a spring.

I notice that the two bolts in the photo's are loose and when the door is shut I can only roll the window down about half way. When the door is closed the window will go down all the way.

Obviously something inside the door broke, but what? I can't find any schematic's to try and fiquire it out on my own and taking off the door panel for exploratory surgery isn't an option.

Anyone have an idea or information that may help me?

View attachment 412036

View attachment 412037
Look for a "replace door check " link. It's easy. Removing the door panel is a little more challenging, but not difficult.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
470 Posts
+1 for door check. I had this happen to my 380SEL. I'd order one or get one online and do it yourself. It can be frustrating if you've never done it before, but it can be done!! Go for it! If you can't get it, a good body shop or indie MB shop should be able to get it. They usually snap like that when they lose all lubrication.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts