Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
1985 300D
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Putting on my sheep skin cover the other day and i ripped apart my hand due to the broken and very jagged seat springs. I saw krugs seat repair and it looks awesome but i dont have the time and it didn't look like he had any broken metal in his seat. anyone know of a good auto upolstery shop in the OC? any help or suggestions would be great!

·
Registered
65 Posts
There's one near my house in LA, said if I bring him the upholstery kits he'll do it for I believe $120. It's a Mustang specialty place, nice guy, he helped me with my sagging sunfoof fabric.

Carl

·
Premium Member
1977 240D
475 Posts
You can get a whole seat in good condition for $125 at from Sun Valley Mercedes Dismantlers (http://www.mercedesdismantlers.com). They also sell good seat springs for $50, if that's all you need.

The key is to take parts from a passenger seat, as they are much more likely to be in good shape, and then use them on the driver's side. The parts are interchangeable.

To change out your seat bottom, all you need to do is:

1) get a good passenger seat bottom from a salvage yard
2) remove the driver's seat
3) remove the driver's seat back
4) remove the driver's seat track
5) bolt the driver's seat track onto the passenger seat bottom
6) reattach the seat back
7) reinstall the seat

Mercedessource.com sells a useful booklet on this process and more, which I have and would recommend. It's called Mercedes Front Seat Repair and Restoration:

http://mercedessource.com/node/314

I did this project over the weekend on my 300D and couldn't be happier!

-Mark

·
Registered
1985 300D
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks for the help, i'll see if they have a seat springs and just change those. seems like the cheapest way to go.

·
Registered
1984 300CD
2,707 Posts
If your looking to just fix the broken spring for safety reasons, upholstery shops have a little part used for just that. It's sort of a piece of tubing which is slipped over the two ends of the spring and then crimped onto them. I needed to do it once to an old VW Jetta seat. The upholstery shop just gave it to me.

·
Premium Member
1977 240D
475 Posts
Tell you what, I ended up with an extra set of springs and even a decent seat pad from the work I did. You're welcome to them, if you'd like. They're just sitting in my garage...

-Mark

·
Registered
1985 300D
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Seriously Holthoff? that would be awesome of you! i dont know when i would be able to head up your way to get them, but i would greatly apprecaite it! thanks!

·
Registered
1984 300D turbo
274 Posts
holthoff said:
You can get a whole seat in good condition for $125 at from Sun Valley Mercedes Dismantlers (http://www.mercedesdismantlers.com). They also sell good seat springs for $50, if that's all you need.

The key is to take parts from a passenger seat, as they are much more likely to be in good shape, and then use them on the driver's side. The parts are interchangeable.

To change out your seat bottom, all you need to do is:

1) get a good passenger seat bottom from a salvage yard
2) remove the driver's seat
3) remove the driver's seat back
4) remove the driver's seat track
5) bolt the driver's seat track onto the passenger seat bottom
6) reattach the seat back
7) reinstall the seat

Mercedessource.com sells a useful booklet on this process and more, which I have and would recommend. It's called Mercedes Front Seat Repair and Restoration:

Mercedes Front Seat Repair and Restoration by Kent Bergsma | MercedesSource.com

I did this project over the weekend on my 300D and couldn't be happier!

-Mark
How many screws hold the track to the seat? I've found 4, but not sure if the right screws are removed as the track won't come off. thanks :surrender: :surrender:

·
Premium Member
1977 240D
475 Posts
84 bioburner said:
How many screws hold the track to the seat? I've found 4, but not sure if the right screws are removed as the track won't come off. thanks :surrender: :surrender:
There are six -- one at each corner and one on each side in the middle. The how-to booklet I have says you can adjust the track so that a hole lines up over the middle screws in order to remove them. I was unable to make this happen and instead took the track apart to get to the middle screws. Probably the least pleasant part of the job, but now I know how to put the track back together!

·
Registered
1985 300 turbodiesel
102 Posts
Just wanted to chime in quickly. I did the pool noodle seat repair on Gretchen yesterday, with slight variations. Wow, what a difference, not only to arse-feel but it made the way the car handles feel completely differently, now that I'm not riding on an oscillating spring with a period independent of that of the suspension travel. The seat is now firm at the edges and somewhat less at the center, only problem might be the 5" sag thats now gone as I exit creating a head banging hazard. Will post pics if anyone's innarested.

·
Registered
1985 300 turbodiesel
102 Posts
got mine at wally world, 3.97 a piece, bought 3 used 2. I also had a piece of high density foam, almost like the memory foam they make springless mattresses out of, to replace the horsehair pad in my seat. However, I didn't have a horsehair pad and the foam that was in the seat was fine. One other thing that I think made a huge difference was slightly stretching the seat springs by standing on the track and lifting the cage, hyperextending it. I applied maybe 30-40 lbs. of force and elongated the springs maybe 0.5 to 0.75 of an inch.

·
Registered
1979 280CE
6,118 Posts
krousorama said:
Just wanted to chime in quickly. I did the pool noodle seat repair on Gretchen yesterday, with slight variations. Wow, what a difference, not only to arse-feel but it made the way the car handles feel completely differently, now that I'm not riding on an oscillating spring with a period independent of that of the suspension travel. The seat is now firm at the edges and somewhat less at the center, only problem might be the 5" sag thats now gone as I exit creating a head banging hazard. Will post pics if anyone's innarested.[/QUOTE/]

If you could upload some pictures that would be great. I may do that to mine because mine go all the way to the floor when I get in the car. Thanks

·
Registered
300SD
11,191 Posts
79Mercy said:
krousorama said:
Just wanted to chime in quickly. I did the pool noodle seat repair on Gretchen yesterday, with slight variations. Wow, what a difference, not only to arse-feel but it made the way the car handles feel completely differently, now that I'm not riding on an oscillating spring with a period independent of that of the suspension travel. The seat is now firm at the edges and somewhat less at the center, only problem might be the 5" sag thats now gone as I exit creating a head banging hazard. Will post pics if anyone's innarested.[/QUOTE/]

If you could upload some pictures that would be great. I may do that to mine because mine go all the way to the floor when I get in the car. Thanks
79Mercy,

my '85 300D has nice and firm front seats. You definitely need to fix the seat, it makes all the difference in the world!

On the other hand my 300SD's front driver's seat is sagging quite a bit in the middle making for a rather unpleasant driving position, as I sit a lot lower in that car. I think I need a new seat pad and maybe new springs on that one.

·
Registered
1979 280CE
6,118 Posts
WHen I sit down the side of the seat go all the way down. That's not how your's is?

·
Registered
1979 280CE
6,118 Posts
Could someone post step by step directions of how to get the seat og the car and how to get noddles in the springs and all steps to take apart the seat.

If someone could post up pictures that would be great.

·
Premium Member
1977 240D
475 Posts
Here's a DIY on rebuilding seats with pool noodles (from mercedesshop):

http://www.mercedesshop.com/Wikka/W123SeatRepair

However, I don't personally recommend this method. To me, the car's combination of stiff shocks, firm seat pads, and sprung seats gives it a distinctive feel which is lost when you bolster the springs with stiff foam, removing their "give."

It''s not that much harder or more expensive to replace worn or broken seat springs with some from a good, used passenger seat, and it's definitely worth it, in my opinion, to preserve the car's original feel.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts