Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
MB 420SEL 1986-Bought in 2010, MERCURY VELLAGER-1995, NISSAN MAXIMA 1996, Buick Lesabre 1995
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just did Pool Noodle repair of my sagging driver seat. THANKS A LOT TO THE FORUM AND FORUM MEMBERS WHO CONTRUBUTED TO THIS SUBJECT BEFORE. What a great feeling of driving in the repaired seat? It is like driving like KING in absolute luxury and comfort.

While repairing the seat, I found left side ZIG-ZAG spring was broken. First I thought I should get it welded and not to do pool noodle repair. But I don't want to carry heavy seat to welding place myself so I drop the idea and did the pool noodle repair. Did I do something wrong for not welding the spring? may be I will do that after few months or years when it goes bad again. I also reinforced all the pool noodle pieces with the plastic tie to the springs and frame of the seat so that it remain in the same place.

The only difficult thing was to remove the seat cover from the lower edge the seat And I damaged the lower marging cardboard that tuck under the seat frame. Although the seat cover is good condition. I am thinking of stiching some kind of elastic thread froma Joana Febric to reinforce the lower margin of the seat cover to the lower margin of the seat frame.

If you guys have any more suggestion please let me know.

Other repair that I did to my MB are-

1- Put LED bulbs it instrument cluster. Looks great but little dim. Any advice on this?

2- Changed Sun Roof relay. Sun Roof is working perfect.

Minor on going Problems--

Slight variation in idling revolution speed but no effect on egine prformance- Any idea what it is and how to fix it?

Need expert Advice-

Thinking of buying set of air tools and air compressor for DIY at home. What brand of air tool set and what capacity of air compressor are most economical and effective for us? Should I go for used one on craigslist or buy new one?

Waiting for your valuable advice and suggestion.

Once again Thanks for putting wealth of informations on the Forum for those who need help.

Sahai

Sahai:thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
2012 CL550 4MATIC Coupe - RIP
10,014 Posts
The issue with your dim blubs is because the light spreaders that are in the cluster rely on Incandescent bulbs that emit light at all angles. LED bulbs have "Facets" like a diamond. You need to get ones that have more emitters.

I use all Craftsman tools and compressor and air tools.

·
Registered
MB 420SEL 1986-Bought in 2010, MERCURY VELLAGER-1995, NISSAN MAXIMA 1996, Buick Lesabre 1995
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, Mclare!

Air compressor- How gallan capacity and how much HP or moter?

sahai

·
Registered
2001 ML430, 1983 300SD, 2008 GL450
909 Posts
Ah, air compressors. One of my many soapbox issues.

I would buy new unless you can find a commercial one for a good price. Commercial being Ingersoll Rand and the like. For whatever reason used shop air compressors sell for not much less than new ones. So why bother with someone elses problems if you aren't saving much money? If buying used don't overlook ones that aren't running. If the motor looks good and the piston isn't seized the problem is usually either just a motor breaker tripped or the pressure switch is bad. The pressure switch does wear out with time and they are usually pretty cheap. Just make sure that you can buy a compatible replacement.

When comparing keep in mind that a HP in China has no relationship whatsoever with reality. A HP from a US motor is twice reality if it is consumer equipment, generally reality if heavy duty commercial. Put it this way - you aren't plugging in much more than 1 real HP into a standard wall outlet in a 110VAC circuit without tripping breakers and possibly starting fires.

You want as big a tank as you can make space for. The large uprights work well for shops as they don't take up much more space than a small pancake model. You want one that requires oil. The oil-less ones don't require oil because the tolerances are so bad that the piston is just rattling around the cylinder rather than sliding along the wall.

If you can get a 220VAC model. Lower current draw = less heat in the wiring and you don't have to worry about load balancing. A good real 1HP would be fine, a real 2HP will do probably anything you could ever think of. Since none of the consumer equipment will list the real HP look at the current requirements. You want something in the 7-10 amps range @ 110VAC. I'm simplifying things including ignoring motor efficiency but for a rough rule of thumb this will give you the figure you are looking for. If you want to really get fancy the proper way is really to calculate all of your air loads and then buy a higher capacity. But getting 1 real HP will work fine for most people.

If running 110VAC you'll want a dedicated circuit. If you don't have one and need to run one anyway I would go with 220VAC. I like to install 20 amp circuits for enough headroom for each piece of heavy equipment. But make sure that you install wiring and outlets that will handle this load.

I like to have at least a short run of hard line mounted to the wall. This allows you to add an additional shutoff, drain, and built in water & oil separator and filter. This also allows additional cooling to get rid of moisture. Be sure and put a down loop with a drain. Use black iron. PVC will eventually explode. Sometimes dramatically. People generally aren't injured but walls usually have holes in them. Galvanized releases nasty flakes into the air stream. I haven't seen copper explode but it seems to have a relatively short lift. Black pipe will last just about forever.

Install a ball valve on the bottom of the tank with a drain line and drain it regularly. Do this and your setup will last probably the rest of your life.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That was nice information on Air compressor- Mr. Gene Horr! I think you are implying that I am going to put that compressor in the mechanic shop. what I need is for my home to do DIY project on cars. I want to use impact wrinch, ratchet, air hammer, air cirucular saw etc, I mean just for intermittent use not comercial use. So keeping in mind these application. What is your final advice? Do you think 110VAC , 1HP 5 gallan or 8 Gallan capacity is enough? One thing is clear that I should get one that use oil. Is that wright.

Sahai

1 - 5 of 5 Posts