Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1999 E320 Wagon: 130,000 miles
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How is the best way to remove the drivers seat if the seat cannot be moved front/back and the front star floor bolts are not accessible? No problem getting to the rear bolts. Thanks for you help.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I can move the seat up but the front track star bolts are still not accessible. I'm not sure what you mean by "try to jump seat moving motor directly"....would you please elaborate. If I press the front/back switch, the left side of the track seems to be trying to move while the right side does not. The seat torques a bit. I've tried both the manual and memory switches and all positions move except for the "front/back".

·
Outstanding Contributor , SDS Guru
1998 MB E300TD, 1997 MB E36 AMG, 2001 MB E55 AMG
3,667 Posts
What Kajtek means for you to supply your own 12v and ground directly to the motor thats responsible for moving the seat forward and back, instead of relying on the switch.

·
Registered
Dallas, Texas
7,406 Posts
I can move the seat up but the front track star bolts are still not accessible. I'm not sure what you mean by "try to jump seat moving motor directly"....would you please elaborate. If I press the front/back switch, the left side of the track seems to be trying to move while the right side does not. The seat torques a bit. I've tried both the manual and memory switches and all positions move except for the "front/back".

Shaft that goes from left to right side snapped off or stripped. Start shopping ebay for used seat base.

You will have to take seat apart piece by piece.

2020-03-14_082151.png

·
Registered
E320/E250 Bluetec Ford F350 6.7l
36,492 Posts
In the past, getting skins from JY I was able to remove side bolts on the seat, but I still remember that getting the bolt on console side took me almost 1 hr.
Still with ratcheting box wrenches it is doable.
That is why I suggested jumping the motor as 1st thing.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the help. Does anyone have a part number for the shaft that connects the two gears/motor.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the information. So the individual part is not available?

·
Registered
Dallas, Texas
7,406 Posts

·
Registered
96 E320
196 Posts
Here is one. Need to confirm if it has memory package or not.

Was any W210 sold without seat memory? I ask since mine is a base model (no sunroof and no heated seats). But it does have the usual electric seats with three button memory.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I don't know if E320's were sold without seat memory but mine has the seat memory...just the front/back doesn't work.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Since I am spending a lot of time at my home lately, I decided to address a problem that I’ve just lived with for a while. As stated earlier, the issue is the driver’s seat will not adjust front/back. The motor appears to work but binds on inner side. The seat is in a very forward position resulting in the star bolts that attach the seat to the floor are not accessible. I was certainly dreading this procedure thinking that it was a big deal. Actually, no problem at all, so I put together a few pictures and text of how I addressed this. The problem turned out to be a broken plastic gear in the inner track gear. Simple replacement and works great. I am no mechanic, just do this for fun. Kajtek1, Witek_M, mrboca, Deplore, and others have forgot more about these cars than I will ever know and are welcome to correct any obvious errors. I am not suggesting you should do this procedure on your vehicle, just showing how I proceeded. Anything that you do, do at your own risk.

Attachments

·
Registered
Dallas, Texas
7,406 Posts
Since I am spending a lot of time at my home lately, I decided to address a problem that I’ve just lived with for a while. As stated earlier, the issue is the driver’s seat will not adjust front/back. The motor appears to work but binds on inner side. The seat is in a very forward position resulting in the star bolts that attach the seat to the floor are not accessible. I was certainly dreading this procedure thinking that it was a big deal. Actually, no problem at all, so I put together a few pictures and text of how I addressed this. The problem turned out to be a broken plastic gear in the inner track gear. Simple replacement and works great. I am no mechanic, just do this for fun. Kajtek1, Witek_M, mrboca, Deplore, and others have forgot more about these cars than I will ever know and are welcome to correct any obvious errors. I am not suggesting you should do this procedure on your vehicle, just showing how I proceeded. Anything that you do, do at your own risk.
I love to get slammed. :)

·
Outstanding Contributor , SDS Guru
1998 MB E300TD, 1997 MB E36 AMG, 2001 MB E55 AMG
3,667 Posts
I like being proven wrong too.

What gear did you use and where did you buy it?

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Deplore and Witek_M, I certainly don't think anything in your reply was wrong at all. All of the comments helped. As I said, you guys have forgotten more than I will ever know. The job was quite easy though and realizing that the tracks can be moved after simply removing the seat track gears (and that the gears are easily accessible by the submitted procedure) to uncover the floor attachment bolts was a big factor for me. Nothing exotic for parts. I bought a seat from a really nice 1999 E320 from a pick and pull yard with all components...seats (not great shape), three good motors, two good seat track gears, good spindle/shaft, etc. for less than $25.00.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts