Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2000 ML430
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone had this problem? When I step on the gas I noticed that the driver seat rocks back. Is there something that can be done to prevent this from happening?

·
Registered
W163/W115
357 Posts
Loose nuts/bolts?

·
Registered
W163/W115
357 Posts
Sounds like worn bushing (if any exists).

Have someone sit by the front and let him rock back/forth while you look under the seat with a flashlight.

·
Registered
Mercedes "M32"
961 Posts
There should be 4 bolts that hold the seat onto the floor ... try tightening them.

·
Coupe/Convertible Forums Moderator
CURRENT: 2011 SL550 FORMER: C300, ML350, CLK550 Cabriolet, C240, ML320, 300TD
20,624 Posts
Mine started doing this and it was a worn bushing in the front height adjustment mechanism. The dealer replaced the entire seat track under warranty.

- RODNEY

·
Registered
99ML320 (retired) C230 530xi 911-C4
2,229 Posts
This is one of the most common problem with E39 BMW 5 series. At least in BMW land, it involves replacing the entire seat track because the bushings get worn out.

It's supposedly not a safety issue....

On BMW's it not only moves a little, it makes this awful CLACK sound everytime there is a weight shift...

Anyway BMW USA refuses to replace the track unless the owner makes a huge stink about it...you know, the usual line of "I paid $57K for a BMW and it shouldn't make this sound" blah blah blah....

They're starting to sound like MBUSA!

·
Registered
2000 ML 430, (sold) 1990 350 SDL
43 Posts
Yeah, the passenger seat in mine does the same thing. On hard accelerations and hard brakings the seat will move just a little and make a clicking sound.

Too bad mine isn't under warranty. How much would a new seat track cost?

·
Registered
'02 ML 500
44 Posts
I had the same problem. The rocking was very slight. The dealer replaced the track mechanism under warranty. Has been fine for 60K miles.

·
Registered
1999 E55 AMG
48 Posts
This is one of the most common problem with E39 BMW 5 series. At least in BMW land, it involves replacing the entire seat track because the bushings get worn out.

It's supposedly not a safety issue....

On BMW's it not only moves a little, it makes this awful CLACK sound everytime there is a weight shift...

Anyway BMW USA refuses to replace the track unless the owner makes a huge stink about it...you know, the usual line of "I paid $57K for a BMW and it shouldn't make this sound" blah blah blah....

They're starting to sound like MBUSA!
Corvette's do it too. Maybe we all need manual seats that wont do that?!? :p

·
Registered
2002 ML 320, 2004 Audi Avant A4
212 Posts
I have the same issue with my driver seat. It doesn't really bother me that bad.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Thanks for the string.

A little while back, I noticed a rocking on the driver side, but the passenger side felt tight, so I had the dealer check it out. They came back and said all the bolts were tight and everything was fine. My wife is the primary driver and she claimed not to feel anything so I figured it was fine (she's also quite a bit lighter than me). At this point I thought I was just imagining things. I drove it again last weekend and became really annoyed at the rocking and based on the info in the string, I took it back in. Much like a few others, the tracks are being replaced. Sounds like this will take care of it.

Although on some level, I suppose this helped me from driving too aggressively. When I hit the gas, the seat would roll back and I felt like my foot was pulling off the pedal.

·
Registered
11,243 Posts
I've noticed just my driver's seat does this too. It's just a slight forward and back movement. I don't notice it when I'm driving it around, but I can rock it back and forth about half a centimeter when I push on the seat back.

·
Registered
1994 E420
18 Posts
My seat in my ML55 started doing this recently. Mine moves about 3 inches. I took it to my mechanic and he said a bracket broke loose. He welded it up to save money. It broke again 2 days later. I can't decide whether to check with mercedes for the bracket or replace the seat with another one.

·
Registered
1999 E55 AMG
48 Posts
3 inches! Man, take about going for a ride when you stop suddenly!!!:p

My seat in my ML55 started doing this recently. Mine moves about 3 inches. I took it to my mechanic and he said a bracket broke loose. He welded it up to save money. It broke again 2 days later. I can't decide whether to check with mercedes for the bracket or replace the seat with another one.

·
Banned
2,629 Posts
Supposedly SLIGHT movement is normal as long as it slides back to its original place. I have had this repaired on almost every ML I've owned. Its always there, and I am no fatass.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts