Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
2010 C200 CGI /W203/SLK230/W202/230E/280SE
3,301 Posts
Any product using silicone is poison to vinyl (as is hand cream/petroleum products/wax)

The best products have a polymer restorer that keeps the vinyl supple ie: Aerospace Protectant 303

I'm currently looking for a W204 and find this problem quite disturbing considering that all the previous models with MB tex were bulletproof!!!

Oberoi

·
Registered
3 Posts
W204 C300 Driver's Seat for Sale

Hey guys if anyone is having el. or any other issues and you're looking to a replacement seat message me at: [email protected]

My driver's seat seat on the bottom busted and I got a whole new seat. All electrical parts are fully functional:
-Leather
-Black
-El.
-Heat
-SRS
-No memory

·
Registered
1 Posts
Sorry to hear about your issue. My dad's '08 C300 had the same issue. It seems to be a common problem for some W204's (some are okay). My dad's was just out of warranty as well, and they offered him a similar resolution. They paid for the complete cost of the seat bottom, and he paid the labour cost (which was a little less than half of the total repair). So I think he paid around $280. He wasn't pleased, but went along with it. His new seat bottom has been fine thus far.

Knock on wood... Mine is still okay and I'm in and out of my car more than he is.
My 2008 C-300 drivers seat split along the seam where the butt sits. I weigh 130 lbs. and it shouldn't have split. Cheap seats!!! I am so disappointed in the cheap seat of this fine automobile. It split right after my warranty ran out and the dealer said it was wear and tear. Well, I had a Chrysler 5th Avenue New Yorker for 12 years and the leather seats looked just like they did when I bought it up to the day I sold it. I take exceptional care of my automobiles and this has been a big disappointment for me with benz. E. Wilson

·
Registered
2008 C300 Sport 4matic
27 Posts
The driver's seat in my 2012 split on the seam on the bottom. Car has 53,000 miles. I have a MB extended warranty. I'm calling the dealer tomorrow to see if it's covered. The MB-TEX on my 1982 300D lasted 20 years and almost 200,000 miles. I post the results.

·
Premium Member
2013 C250
7,273 Posts
The driver's seat in my 2012 split on the seam on the bottom. Car has 53,000 miles. I have a MB extended warranty. I'm calling the dealer tomorrow to see if it's covered. The MB-TEX on my 1982 300D lasted 20 years and almost 200,000 miles. I post the results.
What were results?

·
Registered
2008 C300
113 Posts
Seems like very common issue - I had local car upholstery shop in San Jose order the mbtex vinyl and repair for me - looks like new - $200 inc labor - pm me if you need name of shop ....

·
Registered
2010 E-350 Fourmatic Sedan
5 Posts
E350 perforated seat torn

My 2010 E350 has 53,000 miles and the split happened about 10,000 miles ago.

It would be great if M-B made a robust replacement part...

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2012 E350Sport and the seam on the driver seat has separated. I weigh 150 and do not abuse the seat nor do I flop down on it when I get in. I noticed it some months ago. I have had the car for almost 2 years and it was a Certified Pre-Owned vehicle. I am getting ready to take it to the dealership for an oil change and will be asking about the seat now that I see it is a problem with some of their cars. I'm glad I looked this up.

Alabama Girl

·
Registered
1986 190e 2.3-16 (W201), 1997 SL320 Panoramic Glass Top (R129) & 2009 C300 Panoramic Top (W204)
739 Posts

·
Registered
1986 560SL; 2012 E350
110 Posts
I have a 2012 E350Sport and the seam on the driver seat has separated. I weigh 150 and do not abuse the seat nor do I flop down on it when I get in. I noticed it some months ago. I have had the car for almost 2 years and it was a Certified Pre-Owned vehicle. I am getting ready to take it to the dealership for an oil change and will be asking about the seat now that I see it is a problem with some of their cars. I'm glad I looked this up.

Alabama Girl
Hi, did the dealership fix the torn seat? Did they give you a hard time?

·
Registered
1999 C280, 2000 C280, 2000 C230K,2011 C300
650 Posts
If you have several cars to attend to, then get 303 protectant by the gallon off ebay. They usually have free shipping too.

Just noticed that WalMart may have it too, even cheaper $45/gal!

·
Registered
2012 C300 Sport 4MATIC
155 Posts
My 2009 C300 with about 80,000 miles on it developed this issue on the drivers seat about a year ago. I've used 303 on the interior regularly for the 3 years that I've owned the car. I don't know what the previous owner used. The damage started as 2 small cracks along the left hand side. I patched them with the 3M leather/vinyl repair kit. That repair was barely noticeable and held well for several months, until more cracks began to form in the same area, and then there wasn't much for the vinyl adhesive to anchor to. I then purchased an adhesive patch off Amazon. That did not look as good, but held well, up until a few weeks ago when we started to get 90 degree weather. The heat caused the adhesive from the patch to soften and ooze out, leaving me with a gooey mess. I finally just ordered a new seat cover. Was roughly $235 with shipping.

I just finished putting it on the seat, and it was more difficult than I expected. The seat bottom itself is easy enough to take out. I just leaned the seat back all the way back, and raised the lower portion of the seat all the way up. There's two torx screws that need to come out, and then you can just wiggle the whole seat bottom out and lift it up. The heated seat connector will need to be disconnected. There's two tabs on either side that you'll need to press in, one of which is facing the floor so you can't see it. The plastic housing that all of the connectors plug into can be removed from the metal seat bracket, and then you'll be able to move it around get to both tabs on the connector.

Putting the new seat cover on is the fun part. I didn't really know what to expect having never done this before. The three horizontal seams, and two longer vertical seams visible on the seat cover, all have a small metal rod running through the fabric underneath. The foam cushion attached to the seat base, has grooves cut into it that run the length of these seams, with small plastic clips in them. You need to press the metal rods down into all of these clips. After some trial and error, I found what I needed to do was first clip into all clips along the rear of the seat to anchor the cover, then work my way left to right, top to bottom on the rest. Doing it any other way left me with clips that I could not reach. I used a thin plastic wedge to get under the cover and behind the metal rods, so I could push them down into the clips.

Then I had to stretch the cover down around the edges of the cushion, and fold it over the metal seat base. The cover edge is lined with a piece of plastic that catches under little metal tabs lining the inner edge of the seat base. It stretches really tight, and this was difficult. Again with some trial and error, I found that I needed to start at one back corner, and work my way around. Doing it any other way cause the plastic edge to bow out in spots, leaving me unable to clip it under the tabs. My finger tips are still sore from this, and I ran out of daylight because of it. :wink I wasn't expecting it to take so long. I wiped down the seat bottom with 303, and will reinstall it tomorrow. Also, one thing to note, I noticed when I went to remove the old seat cover, that it also had damage underneath. The plastic edge that anchors it to the seat base had developed stress cracks in a couple spots.

·
Registered
2 Posts
2009 C300 AWD Luxury Sedan
4.5 years old 26,000 miles

Sure enough, the car is just out of warranty, and we discover damage to the front drivers seat. The seats are the imitation leather vinyl. The damage is the base of the seat where you butt goes, and consists of a side-to-side line in the vinyl that has come apart, exposing the seat filler. This is not a rip, but a seam that has separated. Now the only drivers of the car are my wife and me. She is 120 lbs and I am 160 lbs. As you can see, the car is very low mileage. We do not wear rough clothing and cannot think for the life of us what might have aggravated this. I have owned many cars in my life, all inferior to a Benz, and each much older. I have never seen anything like this before and I find it quite shocking that something like this could be considered wear and tear in a MB.

I took it to the dealer and they weren't very helpful. They said it's wear and tear. After a little discussion, they have offered to do a 50% repair. What this means is that they will install a new cover, and my 50% of this will come to approximately $350. I have reluctantly agreed to this and will be dropping the car off on Monday. I understand the whole warranty issue, but I just cannot accept what I believe is a defect. It has really soured my likelihood of getting another MB.

Does anyone have any feedback on this?

·
Registered
2 Posts
YES, I too have the same problem. I've had several cars and this is the ONLY car that has my cushion seam coming apart AND my buttons peeling. They claim it's wear and tear or my lotions (BULL)

·
Registered
2002 Mercedes ML320, 132k
266 Posts
Common problem--my parent's '66 Ford had higher quality vinyl seats. MB should be ashamed, but they're not. I taped ours from the underside with some special tape off ebay. Look for rubber raft repair, etc. It's not perfect but not bad.
It's easy (2 bolts) to remove the seat bottom and not hard to get the cover off. A new cover is ~$250 on-line, which is obnoxious considering it's the same garbage as the original. I've thought about getting a new cover and pre-taping it.

21 - 38 of 38 Posts