1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
Mercedes Benz C300 Luxury Sedan AWD 2009
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2009 C300 AWD Luxury Sedan
4.5 years old 26,000 miles

Sure enough, the car is just out of warranty, and we discover damage to the front drivers seat. The seats are the imitation leather vinyl. The damage is the base of the seat where you butt goes, and consists of a side-to-side line in the vinyl that has come apart, exposing the seat filler. This is not a rip, but a seam that has separated. Now the only drivers of the car are my wife and me. She is 120 lbs and I am 160 lbs. As you can see, the car is very low mileage. We do not wear rough clothing and cannot think for the life of us what might have aggravated this. I have owned many cars in my life, all inferior to a Benz, and each much older. I have never seen anything like this before and I find it quite shocking that something like this could be considered wear and tear in a MB.

I took it to the dealer and they weren't very helpful. They said it's wear and tear. After a little discussion, they have offered to do a 50% repair. What this means is that they will install a new cover, and my 50% of this will come to approximately $350. I have reluctantly agreed to this and will be dropping the car off on Monday. I understand the whole warranty issue, but I just cannot accept what I believe is a defect. It has really soured my likelihood of getting another MB.

Does anyone have any feedback on this?

·
Registered
2008 C300 Lux Black on Black
68 Posts
I guess I was lucky and discovered a similar seat issue just under the four year warranty (low mileage too). Maybe you should get a quote from an independent repair shop?

·
Registered
2016 GLE350 - Traded C300
290 Posts
Yes, I have the same issue. I saw my last year at around 68k mile ( 2008 c300 4matic.) My is just two small drip-lines. I'll have it change if it get worst. Other then this and soft rims (one slightly bent) it's a great car.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
2009 C220cdi sport estate with no options
132 Posts
It sounds like lousy stitching on the seat causing this.

·
Registered
2009 C300 Sport 6-speed M/T - & - 2009 B200 CVT
47 Posts
2009 C300 AWD Luxury Sedan
4.5 years old 26,000 miles

Sure enough, the car is just out of warranty, and we discover damage to the front drivers seat. The seats are the imitation leather vinyl. The damage is the base of the seat where you butt goes, and consists of a side-to-side line in the vinyl that has come apart, exposing the seat filler. This is not a rip, but a seam that has separated. Now the only drivers of the car are my wife and me. She is 120 lbs and I am 160 lbs. As you can see, the car is very low mileage. We do not wear rough clothing and cannot think for the life of us what might have aggravated this. I have owned many cars in my life, all inferior to a Benz, and each much older. I have never seen anything like this before and I find it quite shocking that something like this could be considered wear and tear in a MB.

I took it to the dealer and they weren't very helpful. They said it's wear and tear. After a little discussion, they have offered to do a 50% repair. What this means is that they will install a new cover, and my 50% of this will come to approximately $350. I have reluctantly agreed to this and will be dropping the car off on Monday. I understand the whole warranty issue, but I just cannot accept what I believe is a defect. It has really soured my likelihood of getting another MB.

Does anyone have any feedback on this?

Sorry to hear about your issue. My dad's '08 C300 had the same issue. It seems to be a common problem for some W204's (some are okay). My dad's was just out of warranty as well, and they offered him a similar resolution. They paid for the complete cost of the seat bottom, and he paid the labour cost (which was a little less than half of the total repair). So I think he paid around $280. He wasn't pleased, but went along with it. His new seat bottom has been fine thus far.

Knock on wood... Mine is still okay and I'm in and out of my car more than he is.

·
Registered
2008 C230 4MATIC; 2008 ML320 CDI 4MATIC
819 Posts
I had the same problem too. Apparently it is very common with W204 seats. On mine the driver's seat started cracking even though the car was always parked inside. Had it replaced under warranty.

·
Registered
2008 Mercedes C350
4 Posts
dont use armorall on ur seats, i used it and two weeks later it did the same thing, mine is out of warrenty so i am waiting till it gets bigger then get the whole piece replaced. my bodyshop / interior guy says there is no point fixing while its small coz they will replace it with a whole new piece so might as well wait until it gets bigger...oh wellz....

·
Registered
2015 ML 350 Black/Black
327 Posts
dont use armorall on ur seats, i used it and two weeks later it did the same thing, mine is out of warrenty so i am waiting till it gets bigger then get the whole piece replaced. my bodyshop / interior guy says there is no point fixing while its small coz they will replace it with a whole new piece so might as well wait until it gets bigger...oh wellz....
dont ever use armorall, it is causing cracks like this too. try something better.

·
Registered
1974 240D / 2012 ML350 4Matic
46 Posts
Same problem here, there is leather vinyl patch that works to extend it, mines at 76k and its been patched for 10k just now starting to need a second patch. Way cheaper and u can't tell cause the material isn't perforated there.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
C220
1 Posts
I have the same problem: the vinyl seems to harden from the warmth and humidity of the body. Then the fabric and stitching splits. This is only after 22,000 miles and less than 2 years. I was told that vinyl is tougher than leather. This really is not satisfactory.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts