Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2002 ml55
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had some work done from a detailing shop... and had differences in completion of work (so getting them to fix the door lock isn't an option).

• Central locking (from lower central console switch) : works
  • Lock On Run of all door: works
  • Remote Locking : not working (started after i disconnected my battery to do some work on the electronics - this is not an issue for me at present)
  • Key in Door Lock : does not work (these were removed by detailing shop and installed back, since that they key no longer locks the doors) - doesn't lock the front door... doesn't activate central locking. <-- this is what i want help with
.....before I go digging in and removing the lock and handle... can anyone suggest what i need to look for? if i remove it... what do i need to pay attention to (to get it to work again) ?

THANKS !

·
Registered
w163 02 ML500 W210 97 E50Amg w202 99 C230K w124 - need more space, time to build again
1,721 Posts
Had some work done from a detailing shop... and had differences in completion of work (so getting them to fix the door lock isn't an option).

• Central locking (from lower central console switch) : works
  • Lock On Run of all door: works
  • Remote Locking : not working (started after i disconnected my battery to do some work on the electronics - this is not an issue for me at present)
  • Key in Door Lock : does not work (these were removed by detailing shop and installed back, since that they key no longer locks the doors) - doesn't lock the front door... doesn't activate central locking. <-- this is what i want help with
.....before I go digging in and removing the lock and handle... can anyone suggest what i need to look for? if i remove it... what do i need to pay attention to (to get it to work again) ?

THANKS !
Are you saying using the key in the key hole doesnt lock or unlock?
IF so....
Before disassembly.......perhaps lock has become dry & requires some lube?
Ive used Lock-Ease (w/ the straw) or similar. Spray the key blade and insert the blade into and out of the slot a few times. Then spray once using the straw in the keyhole (don't over do it).

Presuming you checked the fuses (fuse 42?)

If not this, sounds like the the door actuator needs to be replaced.

·
Registered
2002 ml55
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Are you saying using the key in the key hole doesnt lock or unlock? YES, IT DOESNT
IF so....
Before disassembly.......perhaps lock has become dry & requires some lube?
Ive used Lock-Ease (w/ the straw) or similar. Spray the key blade and insert the blade into and out of the slot a few times. Then spray once using the straw in the keyhole (don't over do it).

Presuming you checked the fuses (fuse 42?)

If not this, sounds like the the door actuator needs to be replaced.
I will try that (admittedly... i didn't look at the fuse...).

I found this R&I about the front door lock assembly (attached). I am wondering if the cylinder pin isn't inserted correctly. (see blue circle in pic below)... I'm guessing the shop did a rush job when reinstalling the handles... what do you think ?

Attachments

·
Registered
w163 02 ML500 W210 97 E50Amg w202 99 C230K w124 - need more space, time to build again
1,721 Posts
That scenario certainly be conceivable. :)

·
Registered
2002 ml55
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well..... notice something missing ?

(%$#)&)$#@!$!_#%^ ers ! ......

anyone know if this pin is replaceable... or do i need to get a new lock cylinder... additionally... do i need to get it re-keyed....

·
Registered
Dallas, Texas
6,820 Posts
Pin is not available separately. Get lock from boneyard and switch pins.

Or order lock cylinder by VIN.

·
Premium Member
2002 ML320, 2003 A160, 2002 ML500, 2018 GLS350d
4,192 Posts
Having acquired a used door lock barrel, after you drive out the 2 pins securing the frame, you can swap the lock cylinder with your old one (and replace with your ML55 frame). Any W163 lock will do.

·
Registered
2002 ml55
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Having acquired a used door lock barrel, after you drive out the 2 pins securing the frame, you can swap the lock cylinder with your old one (and replace with your ML55 frame). Any W163 lock will do.
thats helpful. thanks.

which pins ? the ones close to where the broken shaft is... or closer to the part where the key goes? (or somewhere else)

·
Premium Member
2002 ML320, 2003 A160, 2002 ML500, 2018 GLS350d
4,192 Posts
By “frame”, I mean the outside cover that surrounds the keyhole. So down that end.

·
Registered
2002 ml55
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
By “frame”, I mean the outside cover that surrounds the keyhole. So down that end.
My idea is to drive spring pin out and just swap pin that engages door latch.

View attachment 2610262
ok... got it : get 2 lock cylinders from junkyard ... and try each idea/method ... then...report back here on who “wins” :))

thanks for advice .. will try them out

1 - 13 of 13 Posts