Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2003 SLK 320
684 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so our cars have a transmission that adapts to our driving style and such, so I have a question. Lets say we have car #1, a 2003 SLK320 auto. that is driven very slowly and mildly, and we have car #2, a 2003 SLK320 auto. that is driven very aggresively all the time. Now lets say these cars were to drag race, and they both just floored it to the kickdown button, which one would win? Does the transmission actually affect horsepower delivered or is it simply how much power comes with certain pedal movement??? Would be interesting to know.

·
Registered
SLK320, MKV Jetta TDI, Mini Cooper S, Lincoln Mark LT
1,712 Posts
The CPU contains a Neural Net Processor, A learning computer...[:D]

The shift points are delayed or quickened while sampling a persons driving habits. Flooring it would probably have the same effect on both cars. Open throttle settings might take over. [?]

·
Registered
2002 SLK 32 AMG, bone stock. 1987 190E 2.3-16 valve (destroyed). 2005 E320 new toy.
14,926 Posts
The aggressivly driven 320 would win ...... hands down ......

Just kidding. [:eek:)]
Actually the more aggressivly driven would likely have a small advantage. With less carbon build up in the engine, the harder driven engine should be slightly more efficient.

·
Registered
SLK32, ML430
6,349 Posts
RE: The aggressivly driven 320 would win ...... hands down ......

I have seen a couple of posts from a performane shop where they claimed that mildly driven MB will show a deficit of 10-15hp on the Dyno.

·
Registered
2003 SLK 320
684 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That kinda sucks, doesn't it? Shouldn't we have transmission adaptive drivers?[;)] So basically if you want all the power out of your SLK at any moment, you have to drive it like it's stolen 24/7.

·
Registered
2002 SLK 32 AMG, bone stock. 1987 190E 2.3-16 valve (destroyed). 2005 E320 new toy.
14,926 Posts
So basically if you want all the power out of your SLK at any moment, you have to drive it like it's stolen 24/7.

No, not really. It helps a lot to "work" the car hard once in a while though. Like I said before, both the engine and the transmission will benefit, and you get to enjoy your ride in the process. [}:)]
If there are any auto clubs in your area, you might want to find out if they ever run at a local race track. They don't normally race, just drive fast in a safe enviroment. You can learn a lot about your car, and improve your skills at the same time....[;)]
Seems like a win-win situation to me... [:p]

One more thing: Can I please keep my head, I've already lost my mind ..... [:0] [:p]

·
Registered
SLK32, ML430
6,349 Posts
Not that anyone cares but...

One of my biggest complaints is that they try and make the transmissions too complicated. Lets simplify the algorythm. If the computer sees XX% of throttle select the 'Max Power' program.

·
Registered
14,926 Posts
One of my biggest complaints is that they try and make the transmissions too complicated.

If you think "our" little 5 speed tranny is bad, can you imagine what the new 7 speed tranny will cost to repair? [:0]

Lets simplify the algorythm. If the computer sees XX% of throttle select the 'Max Power' program.

The SLK 32's tranny is even worse, It has G load sensors to determine if you're running through a curve, and will not shift until you come out of it.
Technology, ain't it great/expensive...... [:p]

·
Registered
2003 MB SLK 320
35 Posts
here is some real world info on this question....

I bought my SLK 320 with 13,000 miles after the original owner had it for almost 2 calandar years and he bought it for his wife and I am sure she did not do ANYTING as far as the gas pedal....

The first couple of weeks the gas milage was really bad as I would floor it and the car would act slightly confused (not too bad but noticable) after that time the computer seemed to wake up and now when I hit the gas pedal I have to hold on tight compaired to when I bought the car....

just my 2 cents.....

Elias

·
Registered
2002 SLK32 AMG, 2006 CLS55 AMG
109 Posts
I agree with Bruce R, if a car is driven hard during short periods, it is better for the car & performance. In fact, most car manuals state a car should drive various speeds & over the full range of the rpm. If a car stays under 3k, it builds up carbon & will not perform as well as one blown out weekly. V-12 Jags required high rpm's or you had some very expensive tuning bills.

I like to drive different speeds, and use the access ramps on highways to 'tag' the tach. Most of the time, you can at least hit the 4-5k rpm before tagging the speed limit (I live very near a 70mph limit).

Last weekend I made my first road trip, Gainesville to Knoxville, and discovered why this car is such a great road car. I did hit a xxx mph during one short stretch, but mostly I stayed in the 80-90 range. This car really comes into its own getting through traffic on the interstate. Since is so small, it fits in where others fear to tread. Plus, it has the power to 'blow' by the slow stuff. I made the 240 mile trip in just over 3.5 hours, averaging just under 80. I could have done it quicker, but I'm not familiar with the highway or radar areas. Plus, I'm new to using my V1. I ran up on one cop, and I saw the slow traffic lined up behind him. I-985 from exit 16 down to I-85 is free of any bad radar bogies, so the V1 can detect an actual hit. I averaged 90 through that section (only 16 miles).

My advice to any 32 owner is to 'blow out' your engine at least once a week. You don't have to hit 155 to do that, mine will hit 100 in 3rd. The great thing I've discovered on my road trip was how the trans will slow you down after a quick pass when you take your foot off. My main worry is the instant-on radar unit.

Does anyone have the actual speeds for each gear (at 6k)?
[^][:D]

1 - 10 of 10 Posts