Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
W124 Moderator
12,602 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok,

A few weeks ago I picked up a very nice 1993 400E, black on black. So far, the car is just terrific and the power is addictive. However, I am feeling an odd driveline vibration that begins at about 75 mph. The tires are dead on balance wise, the flex disk are new, alignment is dead on. The vibration isn't constant, but comes in and out with sort of a rhythm.

I did notice that there was some play in the front wheel bearings when i first picked the car up, but I have adjusted that out and hear no droning noise at all. Just the "in and out" vibration from 75 to about 85. Past 85 - 90, all is well.

I suspect it could be the driveshaft center bearing. Anyone expericence something similar to this? If so, your input will be appreciated.

Jayare

·
Registered
4,655 Posts
Jayare,

I have had the center bearing fail on a 300TD. It was very apparent at 25-30 mph and you could tell the vibration wasn't coming from the front of the car. I would suspect this component and replace it since its relatively inexpensive. I would also suspect they are under much more strain if used with a V8 or a Diesel because of all the low end torque. I have yet to see this component fail on any of my 300Es.

Since I too have a relatively new to the family 400E I am interested in how you make out. Sorry I couldn't provide a definitive answer. Keep us posted.

Andy

·
W124 Moderator
12,602 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Andy. I'll keep you posted on the cure. I have done a pretty close inspection of the drive shaft and flex disk since the original post. Everything is in really good order. I'll now be focusing on the front wheel bearings. There was some considerable play in them when I first got the car and on quiet streets, at low speeds, I can hear something going on up there. After I replace them, I'll let you know.

Jayare

·
Registered
159 Posts
Ok,

A few weeks ago I picked up a very nice 1993 400E, black on black. So far, the car is just terrific and the power is addictive. However, I am feeling an odd driveline vibration that begins at about 75 mph. The tires are dead on balance wise, the flex disk are new, alignment is dead on. The vibration isn't constant, but comes in and out with sort of a rhythm.

I did notice that there was some play in the front wheel bearings when i first picked the car up, but I have adjusted that out and hear no droning noise at all. Just the "in and out" vibration from 75 to about 85. Past 85 - 90, all is well.

I suspect it could be the driveshaft center bearing. Anyone expericence something similar to this? If so, your input will be appreciated.

Jayare
This is an old post, but one still appearing when searching for "driveline vibration". I have exactly the same problem, an "in and out" vibration starting at 100kph and continuing to about 130kph ... only under acceleration. It sounds almost like the type of droning one often hears when a fishing boat passes in the distance ... the droning gets louder and softer. I replaced the front flex disc today (it had some play), but the droning is as before. The rear coupling looks ok, as does the center bearing. There's no play on the UJ. My next option would be to have the prop removed and balanced.

Did you find the cause?

·
W124 Moderator
12,602 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This is an old post, but one still appearing when searching for "driveline vibration". I have exactly the same problem, an "in and out" vibration starting at 100kph and continuing to about 130kph ... only under acceleration. It sounds almost like the type of droning one often hears when a fishing boat passes in the distance ... the droning gets louder and softer. I replaced the front flex disc today (it had some play), but the droning is as before.UJ. My next option would be to have the prop removed and balanced.

Did you find the cause?
Yes I did. I changed to C230 16" wheels and new tires. Never had the problem again, even at speeds above 145 mph. Drove like it was on rails.

Jayare

·
Registered
159 Posts
Yes I did. I changed to C230 16" wheels and new tires. Never had the problem again, even at speeds above 145 mph. Drove like it was on rails.

Jayare
Today I picked up that my car has two universal silencers plus what looks like an original spec rear box. The first box is tiny compared to the original resonator, the second box is a little bigger - that's probably the cause of my tinny sound at 2,000RPM.

I was also told the silencer system could be the cause of the coming-and-going droning at 100+kph. The car has new Dunlop tyres and there's no vibration at the steering wheel, or through the tunnel at 100+kph, so it can't be tyres or driveline.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts