Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
w210, E320.

Hi,

I did the passenger engine mount wasnt' too bad. I'm doing the drive side engine mount. I moved the compressor out of the way and I'm underneath the car. I can feel the top bolt but I need to know what is the best tool to get that bolt, any clues anybody?

usaims

·
Registered
'01-E320 & 02-ST2
31,631 Posts
I used the box-end of a combination wrench to break it loose; the stubby ratchet is too short for that. Remove the bottom bolt from the mount and jack it up an inch or two, that will provide a little extra clearance to get a longer wrench in place.

Please click user CP and add your vehicle (including the year) and location to your profile. It's useful information.

·
Registered
Dallas, Texas
7,734 Posts
Set of two 16 and 17 makes it easier. Since wrench like this works as torque multiplier you use only 3/4 of specified torque.

Attachments

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have that exact tool. I can get the tool on the bolt but I can't loosened it by hand. When I try to attach a ratchet to it, the tool comes out of the bolt.

I have tried getting to the the top bolt with the tool already attached to the ratchet. Look at the pic, sometimes I can get a grab but turning it is difficult.

Attachments

·
Registered
99 E430, 01 E430 Sport, 00 SL500
3,266 Posts
Torque = Force x Length.
You can't undo the bolt with your tool.
You need 1 straight closed end ratchet wrench. One end of the wrench on the bolt, thread the other end with a pipe or conduit, find a support/leverage on the engine block.
The conduit is $2 for 16 feet at Lowes or Home Depot. Cut it to the appropriate length for the job.

Attachments

·
Registered
Dallas, Texas
7,734 Posts
I have that exact tool. I can get the tool on the bolt but I can't loosened it by hand. When I try to attach a ratchet to it, the tool comes out of the bolt.

I have tried getting to the the top bolt with the tool already attached to the ratchet. Look at the pic, sometimes I can get a grab but turning it is difficult.
Tool you have is too short. Tool in the picture is 3 inches long. Idea is to attach long 3/8 extension then ratchet and attack it from below cross member. Ratcheting wrench works too but you need help of the prybar.

·
Registered
W210.265/2001, W220/S500/2000, Porsche 997 C2S/2006, GMC K1500/1992
2,157 Posts
I failed at the point where you were. But I read another post, the guy has to remove the hydraulic pump in order to get extra space, but he got a wagon just like mine. If you have a regular E320 sedan, you should not ran into space issue.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts