Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
Mercedes Benz B200
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, we have been enjoying our 06 Bee for almost a year and a half now. Lately she has developed a shake (shimmy if you will) that has gotten worst. Yesterday my mechanic told me the bad news, both her left and right drive shafts needed to be replaced at a cost of about CAN$3500!! I tried calling to source them aftermarket but seems only MB has them, besides of course junk shops. She has 190,000KM (got her at 115,000Kms) and we do around 200Kms a day up and down Hwy 400 north of Toronto. My mechanic tells me that is a lot of money for the car, considering its age and mileage and would consider another car at this point. Appreciate any thoughts from you loyal Bee owners out there as I ponder our next move.

· Benzworld Staff
Night Crew......2006 B 200 .....& Audi A6..
12,860 Posts
If it was me,..I would get used shafts if necessary from a scrap yard. Make sure that the plastic/rubber boots have not been damaged in their removal.

Make sure that you get shafts that are good for your B. I don't know if the automatics and the manuals have the same shafts in them.

Strange that the shafts can't be rebuilt at a fraction of that estimate. I would also call all of the MB garages to see if they could do the repair at a reduced cost.

This isn't rocket science here..it's 2 drives-shafts and any MB garage can easily change them ...and you'd think that the MB garage could have them serviced/rebuilt also..

· Registered
see signature
4,023 Posts
I agree with what DEVOURS wrote; don't spend the big bucks on new parts from M-B in this case. Rebuilding the existing shafts or getting exchanged rebuilt ones would be preferable to used junkyard shafts. The total cost of such an option would likely be half of what you have been quoted at the dealer.

· Registered
2007 Mercedes Benz B200
87 Posts
I have done this also for approximately the same price. I know it is very hard to find driveshafts for this car. There are different shafts for our cars and the dealer needed the vin number to match up the correct shafts when I bought them. If you do find aftermarket shafts then I would suggest to take your old shaft with you and match them up to make sure they are for your car.

I have both my old shafts. The passenger side, the bearings are damaged and would have to be rebuilt but the driver side is fine. If you would like to buy them, PM me and we can work something out. I also live in Toronto.

· Registered
W123 '83 200, W210 '98 E200K, W212 '13 E350
1,856 Posts
Gagan - I immediately thought of you when I saw the thread titlle. Didn't remember you spending so much - scary. I checked Rockauto.com (my first choice for hard to find parts), but nothing there. Next place I'd look would be ebay...preferably their German site.

edit: here http://www.ebay.de/sch/i.html?_odkw..._nkw=mercedes+b-klasse+ANTRIEBSWELLE&_sacat=0

"neu" means new...found a few. Google translate for the rest, lol

Gonna repeat what was said. Make sure without a doubt the part fits. There should be a number on the old one.

· Registered
2007 Mercedes Benz B200
87 Posts
Believe me I remember and that's with no labour costs. I was also thinking to get rid of this car just like the OP but chose to fix it. Last summer my a/c compressor went and I didn't fix it. This year gotta do that. Probabily another thousand. This car is killing me. I had to replace my trunk lift supports also. Dealer wanted 168 each so we had no trunk for about a year. Finally aftermarket parts are becoming more and more available. Got the supports for 30 dollars each at parts source.

· Benzworld Staff
12,860 Posts
Thanks Gagan...:thumbsup:

Each year my hatch struts/supports hold the hatch up less and less,..especially in the very cold (and now snowy) weather up here. I've had my head bumped once this winter already..:twak:
:D

I'll have to get to "parts source" soon....Got a phone # to that TO store..??

· Registered
2007 Mercedes Benz B200
87 Posts
Hi, Here is there customer service number and a link to their website.

customer service 1-866-807-1902

Website Automotive Car and Truck Parts - Find Parts in Canada - PartSource: Automotive, Truck Parts & Accessories

They are owned by Canadian Tire and are all over Canada. There should be one near you.

To the OP, here is a link to an aftermarket driveshaft.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/1x-New-G...-MERCEDES-BENZ-B200-W245-A-T-LH-/171015142794

Once again though, confirm with them regarding fit for your car.

· Benzworld Staff
12,860 Posts
Hey Gagan....Just contacted PartSource..no listing for the B Class rear hatch struts.

Do you have a part # for the struts that PartSource sold you that are an ~ fit on our B..??..or did you bring the old B strut in to them,.. and they found a close match for you..??

· Benzworld Staff
12,860 Posts
Thanks Gagan..:thumbsup:

Just got back from Whitby.,PartSource..and they had no listing...Will now work with this added info and get them... (I hope)

BTW..No PartSource in Quebec...

· Benzworld Staff
12,860 Posts
Supposedly....All drive-shafts can be rebuilt by the "Driveshaft Shop" in the US of A. You ship it down to them and they ship it back to you. (probably not cheap..but not $3500 either)

Some Toronto drive-shaft shops might be out there too ....if you look and call around....

Always take pics with a tape measure beside to partially show dimensions to them..

Worth a call to them to find out "if" they would do the B shafts too. I would also make sure that the plastics boots are verified and that the "special" B Class boots are serviceable or available also before they work on them..

Maybe "aftermarket boots" could be fitted....but also maybe not..

---------------------------------------------------------------------
.Added Driveshaft Shop #..1-800-2244 ..might be out of North Carolina.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

· Registered
2007 Mercedes Benz B200
87 Posts
Hi,

I have gone there a couple of times and inquired about them and they never carrier them. Pretty much nothing for the B200 but now they are starting to get parts for it. I was using a hockey stick to keep trunk open for the past year because I found dealer price to be ridiculous. If you want I can get the part for you unless for some reason the 2006 lift supports are different and they don't carry them. I can mail them out to you. Let me know.

Gagan

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.