Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
82' Euro 240D 84' 300D 01' SLK320 6 Speed Sport!
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
(background) O.k. so I removed my drive shaft on my 84 300Dturbo (the flex discs are worn and the center bearing was shot) Upon further inspection the universal joints had definite flat spots in them. The local shop wanted upwards of $400 for new UV's so I ordered a new rear assembly from a MB dealer for $400 including tax, wich came with new center bracket and bearing along with one flexdisc.

(what I am getting at) No one around my area (central Maryland) wants to balance my drive shaft, the only company that might do it is A1 in Baltimore. However, my father called a long time family friend who is owns his own Mercedes repair shop and asked what he thought. His words were don't even worry about balancing it, just install it back and align it the best you can and you'll be fine. He's been a MB mechanic for 20+ years mostly with W123's, but does this sound correct? Anyone else have this experiance? Thanks

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, I'll just do that if it lasts 200,000 miles I'll be happy.:beerchugr:

·
Registered
1983 240D, 2002 Sprinter
9 Posts
1) Drive shafts normally go through a balancing process after they are manufactured.
2) The only way a driveshaft can go out of balance is if it has been damaged, it has been installed incorrectly and is out of alignment or the u-joints are defective and again, cause the driveshaft to be out of alignment.

Listen to the family friend.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Point well taken, however my problem I think lies on the previous owner. I believe that the drive shaft was improperly put back together before I owned it, so eventhough I marked the whole drive shaft for alignment before taking it down, it still could have been out of alignment in the first place.:(

·
Registered
1985 380SE
1,939 Posts
Does it hum or vibrate? Mine does a little bit around 30-50mph but it's very subtle. (And yes, I marked it before removal and disassembly when I replaced the flex discs last month). To be honest, I'm not too concerned about it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts