Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1983 300D Turbo , 1983 380SL , 1995 E320 , 1999 C43AMG, 2007 E350
Joined
·
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 300D has always had a bounce or vibration around 45 mph. It felt like a wheel balance problem but that was not it. I always suspected the drive shaft being out of balance, but decided to just live with it. After replacing the center drive support bearing the vibration was very evident from about 45 mph up to about 60 mph and it for sure felt like the drive shaft was out of balance. I read on the Net how to balance a drive shaft using a metal worm screw hose clamp and decided to give it a try. Thirty minuites and three test drives later the car is smooth as glass up to 70 mph......and beyond I'm sure. There is a little trial and error involved but no rocket science. This was well worth the $1.79 price of the hose clamp.
 

·
Registered
1983 300D Turbo , 1983 380SL , 1995 E320 , 1999 C43AMG, 2007 E350
Joined
·
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I read several of these sites and they all said pretty much the same thing and I don't remember which forum I used but it is as simple as placing the clamp on the shaft and moving it around a few times. I applied it to the shaft just even with the front of the resonator on the passenger side because it was easy to reach laying on my back. Since I had to move it around this was easier than putting it on ramps each time. I also left it loose enough that I could slide it around. I tightened down when I found the best balance. May have been blind luck but sometimes that is a great reward.
 

·
Registered
'73 450SL, '83 300CD, '01 E320 4matic
Joined
·
2,446 Posts
excellent. I am definitely going to read up on this and try it on my W126.
 

·
Registered
1985 380SE
Joined
·
1,939 Posts
Thank you for sharing this! I too replaced the center bearing and the car has that 45mph vibration now. I know I have lots of hose clamps laying around to try this.

:thumbsup::bowdown:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
507 Posts
I read several of these sites and they all said pretty much the same thing and I don't remember which forum I used but it is as simple as placing the clamp on the shaft and moving it around a few times. I applied it to the shaft just even with the front of the resonator on the passenger side because it was easy to reach laying on my back. Since I had to move it around this was easier than putting it on ramps each time. I also left it loose enough that I could slide it around. I tightened down when I found the best balance. May have been blind luck but sometimes that is a great reward.
Cool, thanks! :thumbsup:

I hope I can get a chance to try this next week.
 
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Top