Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1983 300D Turbo , 1983 380SL , 1995 E320 , 1999 C43AMG, 2007 E350
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own two 83 Benz and it is amazing how similar they are so I thought I would share this experience. My 300D had vibration at about 45 MPH. I did everything to fix the problem but nothing changed until I replaced the drive shaft center drive shaft support. The fix resulted in vibration from 45 to 60 mph so I thought one of the problems could be that the drive shaft was out of balance. I checked the Internet and found many references to balancing a drive shaft using a simple worm screw hose clamp. I gave it a try....for a $1.79 and an hours time investment there is now absolutely no vibration at any speed up to 70mph.....and I feel certain beyond. I don't recall a specific link or forum but the hose clamp works and the info is easy to find with a Google search. I left the clamp loose enough to move it around until I found the right balance and then tightened it down tight. I am so happy I could just.............

·
Outstanding Contributor , Bob's Your Uncle!
-----'83 280 SL----- 5 speed....The PIG
29,492 Posts
I own two 83 Benz and it is amazing how similar they are so I thought I would share this experience. My 300D had vibration at about 45 MPH. I did everything to fix the problem but nothing changed until I replaced the drive shaft center drive shaft support. The fix resulted in vibration from 45 to 60 mph so I thought one of the problems could be that the drive shaft was out of balance. I checked the Internet and found many references to balancing a drive shaft using a simple worm screw hose clamp. I gave it a try....for a $1.79 and an hours time investment there is now absolutely no vibration at any speed up to 70mph.....and I feel certain beyond. I don't recall a specific link or forum but the hose clamp works and the info is easy to find with a Google search. I left the clamp loose enough to move it around until I found the right balance and then tightened it down tight. I am so happy I could just.............
Neat idea.

But I would have thought that the prop shaft would have stayed balanced for life as long as it was taken apart and put together exactly the same way.

I had the same issue but solved it changing the hanger bearing, flex discs and the engine and trani mounts. They were tired anyways.

·
Always Remembered RIP
1979 280sl 4 sp w/ac 1957 MGA 1998 volvo xc/70 2004 F150
6,050 Posts
I've seen weights come off shafts before, there only spot welded on and rust builds under them.

·
Registered
1983 300D Turbo , 1983 380SL , 1995 E320 , 1999 C43AMG, 2007 E350
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Neat idea.

But I would have thought that the prop shaft would have stayed balanced for life as long as it was taken apart and put together exactly the same way.

I had the same issue but solved it changing the hanger bearing, flex discs and the engine and trani mounts. They were tired anyways.
Agreed, but my vibrations continued after the many obvious repairs were made. Why the"prop shaft" was out of balance may remain a mystery, but it apparently was. I am very pleased with the fix to my 300D.

·
Registered
1979 450 SLC 5.0 #677 & 1980 500 SLC #2053
420 Posts
A few things worth mentioning here to ensure proper R&R of the drive shaft assembly:
  • Balance the prop and the drive shaft as a unit. Match mark the two.
  • Change the universal joint at the end of the prop shaft.
  • Have the work done by a properly equipped shop.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts