Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a bit confused on what's better. I believe it says D S mode is better on the car? Could someone help me out with some thoughts? 2005 w211 e 500 series
Thank you for any replies
COURTNEY

·
Registered
135 Posts
Your car's transmission has 7 gears. 5 forward gears (F1 to F5) and 2 reverse gears (R1, R2). When you drive on S (standard) you start from F1 and move up. Also on standard, you use the R1 for reverse. F1 and R1 have more torque. The shift from F1 to F2 can be noticeable. Usually, standard mode is for more torquey starts, but is harsher on acceleration and downshifting (when decelerating to stop).

When you drive on C (comfort) the car starts on F2 for forward driving, and R2 for reverse. F2 and R2 are "smaller" gears, hence, less torquey.

S is suitable for:
1- Torquey starts (with load)
2- up hills
3- Faster accelerations

C is suitable for:
1- stop and go traffic
2- light driving
3- starting on snow/slippery surface

I get better gas mileage on C than on S.

Hope this helps

·
Registered
35,767 Posts
The mileage difference is questionable.
C mode also activate hill holding. Never made sense to me to start uphill on 2nd, but that's the only way to hold it on hills without ballet with your feet.
Use whatever you feel better with.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Speaking of "hill holding", I find my car rolling backwards on steep hills when I am on C without ballet with my feet. This makes me think that hill holding is nothing but putting some stress on the 2nd gear clutches, no?

·
Registered
35,767 Posts
Speaking of "hill holding", I find my car rolling backwards on steep hills when I am on C without ballet with my feet. This makes me think that hill holding is nothing but putting some stress on the 2nd gear clutches, no?
what MY you have?
technology changer over the years.
W210 has sprung clutch, early W211 uses SBC for hill holding, while I think starting with 7G transmission you have "hold" that needs to be activated by driver.
Reading manual should answer the dilemma.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you to everyone. Manual said you should drive it in S mode better on the car.I didn't get it?

·
Registered
15 Posts
When you drive in C and the car starts from a stop in 2nd gear, there is more force needed from the engine to get the car moving. The torque converter will have to work harder to get the transmission to turn, this will put more heat into your transmission fluid - may or may not be an 'issue'.
Otherwise, I don't see the harm.
There's no reason why your car couldn't drive around in 5th gear all the time - other than having poor acceleration, fuel economy, really hot transmission fluid. The lower the gear, the less the engine has to work to turn the transmission, the higher the gear the harder it has to work.

·
Registered
4,260 Posts
I leave mine in S mode most of the time. Why have a first gear if you're not going to use it?

In the wintertime when there's snow/ice on the road, I'll use C mode. Remember that its original designation was "W", for "Winter".

·
Registered
135 Posts
what MY you have?
technology changer over the years.
W210 has sprung clutch, early W211 uses SBC for hill holding, while I think starting with 7G transmission you have "hold" that needs to be activated by driver.
Reading manual should answer the dilemma.
Mine is 2008 E300 272.94 engine, and 722.6 transmission.

I read the complete manual a few years ago. I checked again now. No mention of hill holding at all.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts