Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
mercedes w211 e350, B200 w245, w212 e63 amg 6.2L
1,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey
I hadnt driven my car for 5 months and the drive belt seems to be slipping.
I called Mercedes benz and its $130 for a new one without fitting. Does it need replacing or is there another way I could fix this?
Thanks guys :)

·
Registered
E350 4M 06
2,744 Posts
That is usually indicitive of another problem, most of the time its the self tensioning idler, it could also be one of the other idlers.
How did you know it was slipping?

·
Super Moderator
99 ML430, 00 ML320, 05 E500 4matic Wagon
22,146 Posts
Agreed, check the tensioning unit. If it is not that then another pulley may be getting to
the point of seizing up and causing problems.
Here the belt is $50. MB uses the Conti Tech belts. (some of the best belts made)
After the root cause is discovered see if you can find a Conti Tech seller in Australia.
The belt will be half the price of the dealer and you can put it on. It is worth the effort.
You will want to replace it because if it has been slipping it is going to have uneven wear
and may have been stressed so badly that it will just let loose leaving you stranded.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This may sound a bit stupid but how would you recommend me checking the pulleys?
Where is the tensioning unit located?
every rotation or few rotation it makes like.... a squeek sound, not just a soft one but a loud one which you can hear of the car's exhaust system on idol and when you drive it, it gets worse and faster.
I would take it to Mercedes dealer but i've been living out of home studying and have a part time job and cant take a big bill they would give to me which i believe would be about $400 just to check it and $895 to fix.
I can "bandage" up the sound by getting a dry soap bar and placing it under the belt which a workshop taught me, but the sound returns.
I'm not driving the car as i'm scared somthing may stuff up on it.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I got a new belt for $54, will be replacing it in a day or two.
I lifted the bonnet and took my car cover off and heard a few little wierd sounds i'll link it to you guys let me know if it sounds off or not :S
I'm really worried somthing may be wrong without me knowing and im not to keen on driving it untill i know the problem if its nothing or somthing.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
in the 0 - 5 second mark theres a sound that place makes every 20seconds,
I have not replaced the belt in that video,
does the car sound unhealthy to you?

·
Registered
E350 4M 06
2,744 Posts
I hear a high pitch noise from 16 to 23 secs, it sounds like the radiator fan going on and off, which is normal, the rest of the clip is uniform in sound but is somewhat coarse, it may be the microphone, I don't see anything wrong with your belt. Watch the self tensioning idler, see if the arrow is between the marks, use a flashlight.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I left the car as it is for a few days and drove it today, the noise came back and it was slipping alot, got the belt replaced this afternoon, the old belt's side had been eaten away a little bit and was worn out a bit.
It took 5-6minutes to replace the belt which a mate done for me, hes an auto electrican/mechanic. Checked the pulleys and they were fine.
The noises are gone, doesnt slip and believe it or not you can tell the difference when the cars on idol.
Thanks for the help Noodles and Roadking :D (video helped tons)

I would love to get my engine bay cleaned, i dont want to wash it with water last time it didnt go to well :/
I got told mercedes steam clean it, but it cost $250.

·
Registered
E350 4M 06
2,744 Posts
Good, if the noise returns and the belt gets chewed up again, I recommend that you replace the self tensioning idler.
MB puts a corosion inhibitor on the engine components, back when my car was under warranty, my SA had a fit when he saw the engine compartment sparkling clean, he told me not to clean it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts