Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I never noticed it untilt he other day. I opened up the trunk while the car was running , and heard a fast dripping sound ? Is this normal , no gas smell

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
Where specifically did it sound like the dripping was coming from - left/right/center ?

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
It's coming from the center
The only thing I can think of in the center that has anything to do with fluid is the fuel tank or pipes to/from the fuel tank.

My first question would be how full was your fuel tank at the time ?

If you can hear something dripping then I would think maybe your fuel tank was low at the time OR for some reason fuel is flowing back to the tank from the pump ! I don;t know enough about the process of the accumulator etc and if it does release excess fuel back to the tank but a possibility is something may be askew with the fuel sender.

If you have a read of this article on fuel sender repair here :
DIY w/pix -- W124 fuel sender disassembly/cleaning/testing - PeachParts Mercedes ShopForum

there are some great pictures of how the sender works. You will see that the sender is contained inside an outer housing which fills with fuel and moves the float level up or down.

As a suggestion maybe the cylinder around your fuel sender has started to collect rubbish inside it or you have had some dirty fuel which is inhibiting the ability of the sender cylinder to release the fuel as quickly as normal back into the tank as the fuel level reduces.

Just something to think about. If you can pinpoint the sound source better it would be center of the trunk but behind the rear seats at the tank. Try removing the rear inner trunk lining which hides the tank and see if that makes the sound clearer and more obvious.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts