Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I left my car running as I pulled into a convenience store. I noticed the sound of dripping water onto a hot engine hissing like burning water. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
10,427 Posts
Sounds like condensation water from HVAC dropping on the exhaust pipe. I remember someone complaining about this some time ago, I cannot remember why the water was hitting the exhaust pipe.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My first thought is didn't they know that our cars would be hissing like snakes when they get hot or have been put to real use? smh

·
Registered
24 Posts
Mine does that too on occasion. It's the sound of pressurized air being released from the onbaord air compressor that runs the air suspension. A small amount of dirt can get into the end of the valve that empties the compressor's lines and tank. The air passing that dirt makes a strange hissing sound that can easily be confused as water dripping on a hot exhaust pipe. The Craftsman air compressor that I use to run my pneumatic nailers and ratchets makes a similar sound when I purge the tank. I don't think it's anything to worry about.

Ron

·
Registered
10,427 Posts
Mine does that too on occasion. It's the sound of pressurized air being released from the onbaord air compressor that runs the air suspension. A small amount of dirt can get into the end of the valve that empties the compressor's lines and tank. The air passing that dirt makes a strange hissing sound that can easily be confused as water dripping on a hot exhaust pipe. The Craftsman air compressor that I use to run my pneumatic nailers and ratchets makes a similar sound when I purge the tank. I don't think it's anything to worry about.

Ron
This may well be the explanation for the sounds the OP observed. I guess I took too literally the description about water burning onto a hot engine.

I guess if the OP does not accept these sounds on an S-class MB, he should purchase a BMW, if the sounds are acceptable on that brand. ;)

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
What about looking for a busted heater core hose? I think if I heard hissing, would look for a leak, not assume its condensation.

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
Your right, it's not possible.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts