Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
280GE LWB -89, C200
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Now it´s the third time I have problem with the starter.
Allways the same thing. The starter starts before the solenoid put in the gear, or the gear releases before the enging start.
The first two times I leave the starter to a Bosch shop, and they replace some things. Works great for a while...

Last week I drive in really high water and when I now remove the starter it was oil and water in it.
When I test the solenoid it´s really weak, and has not the power to move the gear. The gear is otherwise moving easy.
I will let a Bosch shop check the solenoid.

What do you think about this?
I have read some threads about drilling a small hole to drain oil and water.
Has anyone practical experience of this? Where shall I drill the hole?
At #2 below I think it´s easy to put in a M8 drain plug. But is this correct?
#1 makes more sense, but I'm afraid to destroy the solenoid.

/Per

Attachments

·
Registered
230 G BGS 300G TDI
965 Posts
I did this on a 280 starter, but I put a split pin through the hole from the inside as it vibrates it rotates and keeps the hole open.
As a secondary option I put a stout plastic bag sprayed with duck oil over the starter and zip tied it at the neck. last I saw of the vehicle it was still like that and still working.

·
Registered
1985 280ge swb
233 Posts
Rancher,
Can you be more specific about what you did to your 280 starter. I am considering doing the same to my to 280ge. Any help would be appreaciated. Thx inadvance.

·
Registered
230 G BGS 300G TDI
965 Posts
Here are two pictures of what I do.
EDIT: Before the solenoid is assembled push a split pin through the hole and open it out on the outside.
When you fit the starter you will need to make holes in the bag to fit cables, seal them and round the housing with clear bathroom sealant.

Attachments

·
Registered
280GE
7 Posts
Hi.

This is really useful as I have had the same problem twice before (now on my third) please can anyone advise if it is safe to drill a hole in the starter without removing it from the G? I understand it is best to take off and clean but currently can't start at all! It seems to be available from the underside and would save me getting the garage to come and pick the car up to sort.

Many thanks Mr Wildman

·
Registered
280GE
7 Posts
Hi, for the benefit of anyone who finds this post looking for help. I decided to drill the hole with the started still fitted to the G. Using a small hand drill I gently put a hole (2mm) in the bottom of the starter (as in the pictures in this post) after a few try’s my G fired right up . I then drilled a slightly larger hole (4mm). I ran for a few weeks like this, normally the G fired up first time, but sometimes it took a couple of try’s so I took it to the garage who removed and refurbished the solenoid; it now works perfectly (I kept the hole)

Hope this is helpful to someone, Mr Wildman

1 - 6 of 6 Posts