Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
'05 SL65 AMG
505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know where to get Drilled or slotted brake rotors for a 97' SL600? I've been looking everywhere and the best I can come up with is a $3K kit from Brembo. They don't even list replacement rotors for the brake kit.

·
Registered
97 SL500
226 Posts
The 02 Silver Arrow rotors are drilled and should be a direct replacement for your OEM rotors (at least they are on the SL500).

·
Registered
SL500 Silver Arrow
162 Posts
The P30 brakes require different pads and calipers. I've just replaced all four discs on mine - they were about $100 each from MB though had to be ordered from Germany.

·
BenzWorld Elite Member
2004 SL55, 2006 Range Rover Supercharged, 2013 Infiniti M37
312 Posts
JimP,

Glad to see you back in the Forum.

·
Registered
'05 SL65 AMG
505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Brett, Good to be back :)

·
Registered
'05 SL65 AMG
505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
lincoln said:
The 02 Silver Arrow rotors are drilled and should be a direct replacement for your OEM rotors (at least they are on the SL500).
Do you know what size discs the 02 Silver Arrow has ?

·
Registered
97 SL500
226 Posts
No, I don't know the rotor size but I have a 97 SL500 that just needed rotors/pads and the shop I use offered the 02 SA rotors for the same price as the solid disks. I don't need cross drilled since my wheels hide the rotors so I opted for a slightly higher quality aftermarket solid disk (can't remember the brand right now) and PBR Ceramic pads. Car stops better, firmer pedal feel, less dust then OEM with ceramics and no more squeal.

·
Registered
'05 SL65 AMG
505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I installed EBC Greenstuff pads for the last brakejob I did. I am quite happy with them. I am considering a ceramic pad this time around. Pads still have some mileage left on them, but the rotors are done. I get a bad shimmy after repeated high speed stops. Since I just purchased a set of AMG 5 Stars I thought a nice pair or cross drilled rotors would spruce things up a bit. I like the Brembo kit, but it's a bit pricey. I already have 14" rotors and the car stops quite well with the stock setup. If I am not mistaken the Sl600 and SL55 have the same brakes on the R129 chasis.

·
Registered
97 SL500
226 Posts
Jim,

You probably don't need new rotors. EBC Greens are notorious for leaving pad deposits on the rotors when pushed hard (this creates the same symptom as warped rotors). The SL is a heavy car, EBC greens and PBR deluxes are not good pads for this car and not good pads for agressive driving.

JimP said:
I installed EBC Greenstuff pads for the last brakejob I did. I am quite happy with them. I am considering a ceramic pad this time around. Pads still have some mileage left on them, but the rotors are done. I get a bad shimmy after repeated high speed stops. Since I just purchased a set of AMG 5 Stars I thought a nice pair or cross drilled rotors would spruce things up a bit. I like the Brembo kit, but it's a bit pricey. I already have 14" rotors and the car stops quite well with the stock setup. If I am not mistaken the Sl600 and SL55 have the same brakes on the R129 chasis.

·
Registered
'05 SL65 AMG
505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Nope, it's time for rotors. They have the usual ridge on the outside edge that turns the wear indicator light on early. A brake shimmy after repeated hard stops is caused by thin (under spec) rotors that warp when they get too hot. I appreciate your input though. The pads have been on the car for almost 2 years and this just began in the past 500 miles or so. As far as these not being good fo rthe car. I have complaints with them at all.

·
Registered
'05 SL65 AMG
505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Pigzmickey said:
The SL600 uses the same OEM disks as the AMG SL60, or so I've been told.
Don't believe those are drilled either. The Silver Arrow rotors are drilled, but they are also slightly larger in diamater and require the Brembo calipers I believe.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts