Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2007 E350 3.5L 74,500 miles
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased my 2007 E350 with sport package. When braking at highway speeds I get a rumbling noise coming from the front. When I let off the brakes noise goes away. I pulled front tires and the pads were worn almost to the wear sensor. I replaced the pads and had the rotors turned. Same noise still. I never had a vehicle with drilled rotors, is this normal? I've read posts in this forum about the pros and cons to drilled rotors and quite frankly if this is a normal noise for drilled rotors ill replace them with non drilled rotors.
Any thoughts/input?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Are the holes in your rotors chamfered? And did you properly bed the new pads into the freshly turned rotors? Just a couple thoughts.
Yeah the holes are chamfered. I had the noise before turning the rotors. Which is what prompted me to check the pads and turn the rotors. I even rotated tires frt to rear, no change

·
Registered
2008 E350 4M, 2016 Audi Allroad, 2019 Audi Q5
5,616 Posts
Dont turn rotors. Get fresh rotors (highly recommend zimmerman sports) and your problem will be solved. Have never had issues with zimmerman sport slotted. Both my E350 and my Allroad I use them and I wouldn't use anything else.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Worn suspension components can give vibration on braking. Kick the front tires hard and if you see wheel movement that is the likely culprit particularly if the braking surfaces are smooth and wearing evenly (unwarped).

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Worn suspension components can give vibration on braking. Kick the front tires hard and if you see wheel movement that is the likely culprit particularly if the braking surfaces are smooth and wearing evenly (unwarped).
Yeah did that when pulling rotors. Also had a front end alignment, not to fix this problem but because car had a pull when i bought it

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
so are drilled rotors directional? does it make a difference which way the holes face?

·
Registered
99' E320, 00' E320, 03' E320T, 05' C230K
4,486 Posts
Reactions: glenlloyd

·
Registered
4,486 Posts
It appears I have two right rotors, will check to see if the vanes are straight or curved. Might be onto something here.
The vanes are for cooling. On a "street" car, it's probably not significant difference unless you drive real hard. I doubt directional rotors will cause any noise or vibration if mounted backward.

Reactions: PierreJoliat

·
Registered
4,486 Posts
I have Zimmermann drilled rotors on two cars. They appears to be directional (left), but the left and right hand side are the same. As far as I know, Zimmermann doesn't make a right hand side directional drilled rotor. Also they came like that on my W203 from the factory.

I have an extra set of Textar drilled rotors in my garage. The internal vanes are directional, but both right and left are the same..............so technically one is spinning backward. Again...........I don't think it makes a difference on a "street" car. It's mostly for appearance.

"Left hand side" rotor on my W210 right side. No problems at all.

Automotive tire Vehicle brake Locking hubs Rim Disc brake

·
Registered
2008 E350 110k, 2000 E320 143k, 1983 380SEC 240k
1,057 Posts
Besides drilling, is there any difference between W211 front sport and non-sport rotors? I can't imagine that drilled rotors make any difference 99.9% of the time.

·
Registered
4,486 Posts
Besides drilling, is there any difference between W211 front sport and non-sport rotors? I can't imagine that drilled rotors make any difference 99.9% of the time.
Sport has 330mm x 32mm rotors. Non-sport depending on chassis has 295mm or 312mm x 28mm rotors.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I have Zimmermann drilled rotors on two cars. They appears to be directional (left), but the left and right hand side are the same. As far as I know, Zimmermann doesn't make a right hand side directional drilled rotor. Also they came like that on my W203 from the factory.

I have an extra set of Textar drilled rotors in my garage. The internal vanes are directional, but both right and left are the same..............so technically one is spinning backward. Again...........I don't think it makes a difference on a "street" car. It's mostly for appearance.

"Left hand side" rotor on my W210 right side. No problems at all.

View attachment 2733336
Thank you for your your input

·
Registered
67 Posts
I recently purchased my 2007 E350 with sport package. When braking at highway speeds I get a rumbling noise coming from the front. When I let off the brakes noise goes away. I pulled front tires and the pads were worn almost to the wear sensor. I replaced the pads and had the rotors turned. Same noise still. I never had a vehicle with drilled rotors, is this normal? I've read posts in this forum about the pros and cons to drilled rotors and quite frankly if this is a normal noise for drilled rotors ill replace them with non drilled rotors.
Any thoughts/input?
Most AMGs have drilled front rotors, if that tells you anything. Never noticed the rumble you describe but sure sounds like warped rotors. From what others have written, sounds as if they don’t recommend turning MB rotors.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Any thoughts/input?
Check rears. 100% of the time I thought the warpped rotor rumble was from front, ended up being the rears. Drilled rotors are no noisier than solid, and the rumble is from a warpped rotor. Turn your rears and see if thay fixes it. Make sure your caliper slide pins are well lubed.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts