Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
1987, Mercedes Benz 300E
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,

I am facing a problem with my 87’ 300E, this is the first time I drove it in rain as I got this car this summer, I was driving on a wet street after a fresh spell of rain, while taking the turn the car drifts from rear, and If I take a turn on a speed of 40-50 it feels like the Car gonna toss as it looses its grip from the surface, I am not sure what causing the issue, I am attaching the pictures of the tyres.
I would appreciate any input

Attachments

· Registered
'95 E300 DIESEL, '91 600SEL, '92 600SEL
19,512 Posts
How old are the tires, what type (winter, summer, all season) and what is the brand? MBs usually do not like having mixed sets of brands/types of tires.

· Registered
1987, Mercedes Benz 300E
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hello @sbaert thank you for your reply, as per the information on tires it says 07/17, I believe they are all season from Celsius Toyo brand, right now it has 223k km on it I have no idea when were they replaced last time.

· Super Moderator
1986/1990 W126
21,214 Posts
You can find the code on the tyres and check the date of manufacture. Old tyres can go very hard.

Also do check your shocks.

· Registered
W124
6,456 Posts
Tires have a series of codes as others have suggested. One of the codes relates to the traction compound of the tire. You need to verify what the tire was designed for and its age if you want to optimize wet handling. Oh and I can't ignore that the tire is called Celsius. Which temperature was it designed to run at?

· Registered
'95 E300 DIESEL, '91 600SEL, '92 600SEL
19,512 Posts
You are running winter/all season tires (the zig zag pattern being the dead giveaway). This probably explains the squirrely behavior. They are designed for low temp & low speed grip, not hugging corners. You should not run winter tires until the temp dips below 10C (50F) and you really should/must run winter tires by 6C (just above 40F).

I also think Celsius is a tire model made by Toyo. Regardless, MBs ride the best on Michelins, Continentals and Pirellis.

My S211 just isn't diggin' the Hankook tires. Michelins are in the future or sell the S211 for something a little older and less electronically handicapped.

· Registered
12 odyssey (90k) 1995 E320 wagon (307k) 1983 500se (172k) 1995 Cabrio (123k)
3,414 Posts
Make sure to check the links inside the rear spindle housing. Its in reality its the wheel side bushing for the rear control arm, but w124 puts the bushing in the spindle. They do wear and cause a shifty rear feel.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts