Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Drew!<p>I'm a fellow "E" owner (E420) and my wife has an ML430. I've been following this board for a little while and saw your post over at bimmer.org about your I-75 M5 matchup. I was waiting to see if anyone would ever respond.<p>After owning both a '97 540i and '97 E420, I knew I wanted the M5 instead of the E55. I could go into various reasons, most have been covered before, but probably the biggest one was the "feel factor". In my opinion of course, the M5 simply feels better in steering "road feel", throttle response, and body transitions (fast avoidance maneuvers) than the E.<br>I still find the E55 to be a very nice car, but after having my M5 for over a year now, I'd never switch.<p>Ok, the reason I'm writing? A bunch of the South Florida guys take their M5's to "track days", usually in Sebring, to have fun. Ever want to join us? It's a non-race environment, where the emphasis is on complete safety of both you and your car. You are running the full Sebring course, against nobody but yourself. It is not timed, and you can go at your own pace. It's an event that lets you see what your car and YOU are capable of. <p>If an M5 rematch is really in your blood, you can always take your foot of the gas on the straights at Sebring and wait for an M5 to approach, or maybe pass you. Then you can go balls to the walls and see if you can catch him! If he's a beginner and you are good with your E55, well, not much bragging rights. But if he's a good driver, and there are a few, you can see exactly what an E55 can do against the M5 in a non-competitve environment. I know that sounded funny becuase as you can guess, when you are coming up on an M5 in front of you, you can't help but want to see if you can stay with or catch him! The Sebring course is easy on brakes, and tire wear is minimal. <p>If you or anyone else is intersted, I will keep you posted on dates of the events. They are open to any driver, with any car, and groups of cars are spaced out on the track based on driver abilities. Complete novices can have fun too, with a "lead/follow" run that will take your car on the track, in a group behind an instructor car, at moderate speeds. <p>It's fun, you can go at your own pace, and most cars are totally stock. When I went it was 4 M5's, a Boxster S, a Honda S2000, 2 Vettes, older M3's, a cobra (replica?), and a beautiful S600 Renntech 7.0! Damn, could that car launch away from corners! The owner said he had 550hp pumping out!<p>Anyway, just thought I'd say hi, invite any and all to have a day of E55/M5 fun, and maybe create more goodwill between these two car camps, instead of all the negative postings! <p>Aussie2U

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Count Me In !!!

I like your style!!!<p>Never been on a track before ... but then again ... had never been in an E55 before a few months ago !!!<p>Thanks for the Invite (and the background on the track, the 'tenor' of the track, the people on the track, and the cars on the track)!<p>The M5 is an awesome car. As you and other knowledgable efficianado's say (not the 'kids' screaming and hollering that "MB sucks"), its just different than the E55. I happen to prefer the way my E55 drives. I happen to also love to drive one of my partner's 740i Sports, and his brother's 540i sport. BMW does make an awesome car.<p>I was in heaven test driving a M5 (Fields BMW in Winter Park, just outside of Orlando), but I just didn't want to drive it every day. A little too harsh a ride for me for an everyday driver. IMHO, the last thing I want to do after working all day, is work my Beast on my drive home. <p>Again, I don't necessarily think the M5 is better or worse than my E55 ... its just a different car to me. <p>Please keep me posted ... sounds like loads of fun. <p>Drew.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Too bad I can't join

Sounds like fun Assie2U.. I think the 2 camps have much mutual respect, they are afterall two different cars for two different groups of lucky people. Besides, we can tell which are the M5 drivers/owners and the which ones are the M5 day-dreamers!

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just read some of your posts on 'bmw5.org' ...

You S. Florida M5 boys are right in my back yard ... I'm in Boca.<p>Email me ... maybe I'll crash your M5 party at 'GaryT's' house ... with all those bimmers showing up ... someone needs to bring some class to the event, so I'll bring my E55 :)

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Relax Guys ...

I was only kidding with my 'crash your party' reply. Of course I will respect you (after all, Saturnia has a man-ed gate).<p>Gary said: "This is a very difficult decision. It was supposed to be a fun meeting and now this." <br>Not fun? Me? There's nothing wrong with a little civilized rivalry is there? <p>I, and from reading your posts on your board, believe that you all, can respect the awesomeness of our repspective brands, covet the similarities, and respect each other's choice to acquire one of the two most sophisticated and awe inspiring road-sedans in the world.<p>BTW: Don't worry about the drinks ... I would never come to a party 'empty handed' ... I wouldn't want to drink the punch anyway ("Mr. Jackmehoff" will probably pee in it!)<p>Seriously, this get-together you guys have going on sounds like your first one: Enjoy it. We'll meet some other time, at lets say Hooter's in Ft. Lauderdale? (oh, yeah, I already missed that one). We can get together after you guys do some M-bonding. <p>Look for me, though, on the streets: You can't miss me ... I'll be the one in front of you ...my E55 has a distinctive license plate.<p>Keep in touch. Enjoy the party. Long live the rivalry (it helps to keep our selling prices high!)<p>Drew.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Drew, what is the link to that board ? I tried bmw5.org and doesn't work.

Would like to read and maybe reply with some positive outlooks. We are all enthusiasts with different preferences. I don't know why some people get annoyed with other cars. If you don't like it, don't buy it. Simple. =)<p>Alex

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Here you go Alex: http://www.bmwm5.com/cgi-bin/forumdisplay.cgi?action=topics&forum=E39+M5+Discussio

: Would like to read and maybe reply with some positive outlooks. We are all enthusiasts with different preferences. I don't know why some people get annoyed with other cars. If you don't like it, don't buy it. Simple. =)<p>Alex<p>

1 - 7 of 7 Posts