Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
b200
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wanted to share my experience with my CVT transmission...

I own a 2006 B200 Turbo with the CVT model 802. It's a BC car and I am the second owner (bought it at 63k) with all A/B services performed by the Mercedez dealer and C performed by Norwescan. The car now has 95k and has had no problems whatsoever until TODAY:

Basically I wake up to go to work, start the car, and it doesn't shift into gear. It shows the dreaded "Transmission - visit workshop" message. I think to myself: wtf? I just drove it into my driveway last night. So I tow it to Victoria (Norwescan) who tells me that the entire transmission needs replacing?!?!?

WTF?! How can a transmission that never shows any issues whatsoever and that has had all services performed faithfully, suddenly and completely die? Is Mercedez not aware of this issue or are they ignoring it? And isn't it true that we (as customers) do pay a premium on the Mercedez brand because we trust in the German reliability that is supposed to be Mercedez? So much for brand...

Does anyone else feel duped by Mercedez? It seems to me (by all the chatter on this forum and others regarding this issue) that this CVT transmission for b200 2006-2011 has now so absolutely proven itself to be a ticking time bomb that Mercedez SHOULD have the customer service/loyalty/ethics to embrace this for what it is (=a recall).

·
Registered
2006 B 200 .....& Audi A6..
8,159 Posts
..... that this CVT transmission for b200 2006-2011 has now so absolutely proven itself to be a ticking time bomb
I'm just amazed that this problem has not moved on to the next legal level..I mean..almost everyone here has had the same serious complaint..

You should all form a very tight group..and take action..

·
Registered
see signature
4,017 Posts
I agree with Derek, it is clearly a product that is totally defective and a nice juicy class action lawsuit would be a good thing to see.

·
Registered
2006 B200T
929 Posts
Please file with transport Canada. there was a thread on here and if enough of us do it, this may force a recall or some compensation from MB. It doesn't cost a thing, only a few minutes of your time.

Also, did Victoria say it needs an entirely new transmission or is it the valve body issue like most have had.

·
Registered
W123 '83 200, W210 '98 E200K, W212 '13 E350
1,814 Posts
I know one of the common failures is electronic in nature. So servicing is no guarantee one will be ok, I guess. Unless not changing fluid causes undue stress on something there.

·
Registered
508 Posts
I know for the 2011 there was like 23 recalled for a CVT issue, but mine wasn't part of that group. Maybe I'll be lucky? 120,000 is my next fluid / filter change (at 93,800kms now). So many variables on what could cause it (design, user error, mechanical integrity, mechanic error, etc).

·
Registered
2009 B200 Turbo, 6 sp manual
31 Posts
One of my friend recently had a faulty one in a Nissan Altima, with only 90000 well maintained km.
If not for an extended warranty, he would have had to spit in the order of $5000.
I heard it is even worst for MB.

Sadly and generally speaking, CVT transmissions across the auto industry is a big liability for the customers.
The main reason is that they are not providing internal CVT parts for third parties.
They only exchange a faulty unit for a rebuilt one AT ASTRONOMICAL COST.
I recently watched a Youtube video on a CVT disassembly: These transmissions are in fact simpler than standard automatic.
So there is no reason whatsoever to justify the cost, except to make these a big profit item for the dealer/manufacturer.

·
Registered
b200
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sorry for the lack of reply. Something is wrong with my settings and I'm not being notified of thread replies...

Anyways...

Also, did Victoria say it needs an entirely new transmission or is it the valve body issue like most have had.
Victoria diagnosed it as a total transmission failure needing rebuild. She sent it on to Stan's Transmission (who does these rebuilds) for a second opinion. Stans confirmed her diagnosis and performed the rebuild. Final cost >$5000
:crying

Do these problems arise after a first service is done, by any chance? Or is a specific part always failing?
No. According to Stans Transmission there is a certain part within the CVT transmission that fails. They've seen it happen many times before. Basically they have to take the whole CVT unit apart, replace the individual parts (which are very expensive), and put it back together. (17 hours of labor cost, with parts)
FYI no service had been performed on my transmission prior to this. The only services performed were regular A service (by Benz Richmond) B service (by Benz Richmond) and C service (by Norwescan/Victoria) which were just basic oil and filter and spark plug changes.

re: law suit
Perhaps we should create a website (or just a google sheet) where we can register and catalogue our Benz issues. With enough people and evidence we engage a lawyer and launch an action.
:devil

??

·
Registered
508 Posts
At 60,000 there should have been a CVT service done (fluid/filter change), unless your 2006 maint schedule is different than mine.

How often are you using the (C/S) modes? Switching them only in park (as recommended in the manual)?

How much would have a new or rebuilt one cost?

·
Registered
b200
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
At 60,000 there should have been a CVT service done (fluid/filter change), unless your 2006 maint schedule is different than mine.

How often are you using the (C/S) modes? Switching them only in park (as recommended in the manual)?

How much would have a new or rebuilt one cost?

B service was performed by Mercedez Richmond before I bought the car (so if CVT fluid is standard at B then they probably performed it)

I drive in C mode. Very rarely switch to S mode. I do sometimes switch to Manual to gear down on hills

Used is >3000
Rebuit is >4000
New is >6000 (however Stans tells me that if you buy new from Mercedez these "new" CVTs are actually rebuilt)

·
Registered
see signature
4,017 Posts
Buying a used one seems like a bad choice.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Now the real question is the difference between a rebuild vs a Mercedes rebuild. Seems like the $2000 padding a dealer likes to pocket or an extra backing of a MB warranty on it?

I've been using (S) more often in city motoring for more responsiveness, but mostly in (C) for smoother old man driving and fuel economy. Again, as per manual, only switching in PARK, so probably a good habit to keep.

The only other type of abuse I can see happening is towing something out its range, 1/4 mile racing style starts and POSSIBLY over using the manual shifting in hilly/racing conditions and a component can't handle it as it should.

I'm finding this interesting as to this issue of what it is exactly.

Hopefully its something that can be avoided as opposed to being careful with it and having to repair/replace anyway. That would be a bummer.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a 2007 that has this issue, if anyone wants to join my class action lawsuite, email me at bantercanter at gmail dot com

Let's put an end to these shenannigans- they have enough money that they don't have to avoid the elephant in the room, or should I say elephant dung pile. We're taking them to task and they're going to pay for it, AND for our time of having to go to court.
CONTACT ME

·
Registered
2 Posts

I own a 2006 B200 Turbo with the CVT model 802. It's a BC car and I am the second owner (bought it at 63k) with all A/B services performed by the Mercedez dealer and C performed by Norwescan. The car now has 95k and has had no problems whatsoever until TODAY:

Basically I wake up to go to work, start the car, and it doesn't shift into gear. It shows the dreaded "Transmission - visit workshop" message. I think to myself: wtf? I just drove it into my driveway last night. So I tow it to Victoria (Norwescan) who tells me that the entire transmission needs replacing?!?!?

WTF?! How can a transmission that never shows any issues whatsoever and that has had all services performed faithfully, suddenly and completely die? Is Mercedez not aware of this issue or are they ignoring it? And isn't it true that we (as customers) do pay a premium on the Mercedez brand because we trust in the German reliability that is supposed to be Mercedez? So much for brand...

Does anyone else feel duped by Mercedez? It seems to me (by all the chatter on this forum and others regarding this issue) that this CVT transmission for b200 2006-2011 has now so absolutely proven itself to be a ticking time bomb that Mercedez SHOULD have the customer service/loyalty/ethics to embrace this for what it is (=a recall).
My 2011 MB200 has failed tranny at 83K. Such a dissapointment out of blue. Can MB be sued and repair cost recovered? (4k)

·
Registered
4 Posts
UPDATE: I've gotten contacted by a handful of people looking to sue, but I actually decided to sell it "as is" and take a $1300 price cut on it's value. I just didn't have the capacity to deal with that, though I would have loved nothing more than to join with others & force MB to take responsibility & be accountable for their crap transmission.

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
I think all it takes is for a law firm to take interest. Owners shouldn't have to do much.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I think all it takes is for a law firm to take interest. Owners shouldn't have to do much.
If that's so- feel free to lead the charge and I will direct everyone who's reached out to me to you. I'll also intend join in whatever way I have the capacity to.

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
I can't lead the charge - I was never affected. Just offering an opinion. I figure let a law firm do all the leg work. They stand to profit from it, so let them work for it.

BTW, in my very limited searching (I have no law background), I understand it only takes one plaintiff to open a class action suit (or to start one). Then the law firm publishes the case info for other plaintiffs to join in. There is already a case history for another transmission:

1 - 20 of 48 Posts