Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all

I have a 2003 C320 that has given me much trouble lately. I just had the rear brakes done during my oil change a week ago and right before that the battery replaced. In June of this year I had the Crank Position Sensor go out on me and replaced that.

This morning when I started my car, the Check Engine light came on. It runs fine and no weird noises, though I didn't take it over 65. When I got this recent oil change, though, he did say I'm going to need a new air/cabin filter soon. Any chance that's what it is? I was reading some forums that said it could be the O2 sensor--and the only mechanic that answered the phone on a Saturday said it's often a sensor problem. I just wanted to get some more opinions if anyone's willing.
Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
5,650 Posts
If you go to Advance Auto or Autozone, they can scan your car with an OBDII scanner. Once you get the codes, post it here. After that we can figure what needs to be done. Your cabin filter will not throw a code.

·
Premium Member
17,193 Posts
Ditto to Michael and an out of range O2 sensor will cause a check engine light. Those typically are good for 100,000 miles plus so if you are in that neighborhood it might be it. As he mentioned, please post the DTC (diagnostic trouble codes) and we might be able to help.

·
Registered
4,805 Posts
While it may not be the solution to your problem; the vast majority of CEL warnings are from worn or loosely fitted gas filler caps.

BTW, the CEL light is part of the emission control system. And while it may seem alarming, your car will not burst into flames or melt down to a molten mass of steel and aluminum by operating the car with the CEL on . . . but you will likely be wasting fuel and emitting more noxious fumes that you should be.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I agree! Get the code first, and I can try to help you! Too many possibilities a CEL can come on.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You guys are the best, thanks for all the replies! I actually planned on getting myself an OBDII scanner for xmas, so thanks for the recommendation.
The O2 sensor may be it, my mileage is 113,966 (which I meant to put in my initial post.)
I don't know if it was my father or all the auto repair commercials that put the fear of the CEL in my head, but it's good to know I'm not going to explode on the freeway. Traffic would be a mess...
So here's what's what:
Went to aamco this morning and the error code that popped up was P0106: Manifold Absolute Pressure/Barometric Pressure Circuit Range/Performance Problem.
He said it could be a hose or sensor, but wanted $100 to scan it with the computer to get a specific diagnosis.
The car still runs fine, no noises, no problems accelerating, so maybe it's just the MAP sensor? I looked online and replacement ones are $35-$50, but I've had this girl long enough to know that labor will do me in regardless.
So that's where I'm at now...

·
Registered
4,805 Posts
Is the AAMCO shop running the Mercedes WIS diagnostic software?

If not, find an independent MB shop that is. The WIS can translate codes beyond the generic OBDII level and more specific to the Mercedes system. Also, the WIS can actually test the condition and functioning of the switch, valve, sensor, or other component identified by the code without having to remove it from the car.

·
Registered
31,633 Posts
You guys are the best, thanks for all the replies! I actually planned on getting myself an OBDII scanner for xmas, so thanks for the recommendation.
The O2 sensor may be it, my mileage is 113,966 (which I meant to put in my initial post.)
I don't know if it was my father or all the auto repair commercials that put the fear of the CEL in my head, but it's good to know I'm not going to explode on the freeway. Traffic would be a mess...
So here's what's what:
Went to aamco this morning and the error code that popped up was P0106: Manifold Absolute Pressure/Barometric Pressure Circuit Range/Performance Problem.
He said it could be a hose or sensor, but wanted $100 to scan it with the computer to get a specific diagnosis.
The car still runs fine, no noises, no problems accelerating, so maybe it's just the MAP sensor? I looked online and replacement ones are $35-$50, but I've had this girl long enough to know that labor will do me in regardless.
So that's where I'm at now...
Rule one: stop posting in the general forum. ;) This is just generic stuff about any and all MB cars. Your car is a W203, so search and post in there.

Rule two: The MB-specific Diagnostic software (SDS) isn't going to do anything more besides extracting $125 plus from your wallet.

The MAP sensor doesn't fail very often, and even when it does it is inexpensive and easy to replace. It's on a little bracket sort of near the idler pulley with a wire and a vacuum line going to it.

Much of the time the vacuum line has degraded and is leaking. So start there, locate the valve and find the vacuum line, then check it for brittleness, cracks, etc. (or just replace the vacuum line). If the vacuum line is good, check the wire connector and make sure it is good. If so, then buy a new MAP sensor and replace it.

Good luck.

·
Registered
35,769 Posts
Females and fear of CEL.
I do have female friend with non-mechanical husband. She parked her MB for 3 weeks because CEL come on. They live far away, but I lend them my scanner meeting them at the church.
So long story, short >>>> flipping gas cap gasket made the CEL go away.
I think I am about 10 feet tall now in her eyes

·
Registered
4,805 Posts
Females and fear of CEL.
I do have female friend with non-mechanical husband. She parked her MB for 3 weeks because CEL come on. They live far away, but I lend them my scanner meeting them at the church.
So long story, short >>>> flipping gas cap gasket made the CEL go away.
I think I am about 10 feet tall now in her eyes
Hah, I have seen as many owners that have both X and Y chromosomes freak out about a CEL light coming on, it's not a male v. female thing. ;)

·
Registered
31,633 Posts
Hah, I have seen as many owners that have both X and Y chromosomes freak out about a CEL light coming on, it's not a male v. female thing. ;)
Yep...I recall a post by a guy whose CEL came on while he was accelerating on a freeway onramp. He'd never seen a CEL in other cars before, so his reaction to the one in his MB was to pull over and turn off the engine and call a tow truck.

That's fear.

Well, and something else, too. :D

1 - 14 of 14 Posts