Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1985 300TD, 1981 300TD
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks,

I just bought a non running 1981 300TD with Turbo that has been sitting for a few years. I'm having some trouble getting it started, so far have replaced the glow plugs, relay is working fine, replaced the primary fuel filter and am going to replace the secondary. I need to get all the old diesel out of the system; tank, lines, injector lines + pump, etc. What is the best way to do this? Is there a plug on the tank or do I have to siphon? What about the rest of the fuel system?

I appreciate the help! I'm excited about getting this old beast running again!

·
Registered
918 Posts
This is for the sedan, I hope it also applies to the wagon ;) You can remove the screw-on fuel line that goes into the bottom of the tank. Looks like this:

For the rest of the fuel lines I think compressed air would work fine. Good luck! :)

·
Registered
1983 300D Turbo
21 Posts
just did that this weekend, my 83 300D Turbo timing chain went bad, swapping engines but had just bought a whole tank of gas so we drained it, the drain hose is attached to the underside of the gas tank, very easy...

·
Banned
82 300D VNT, 80 240D 3.0T
3,926 Posts
I'm glad you got all that gas out of the fuel tank before ruining your new engine with it!

The 300D and 300TD do not use the same tank or same location. The 300TD's tank is on the underside of the car where the spare tire well would be in the sedan's trunk.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts