Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings from Michigan,
The previous owner of my 1978 300D replaced the fuel tank vent line end piece with a fuel filter from a small gas engine. This clogged and prevented the tank from venting. The fuel pump sucked the sides of the tank in - and caused all sorts of troubles until I figured this out last fall...
I have a spare parts 1982 300D and am working towards a tank swap.
I would like to drain the old fuel from the tank using the fuel line connected to the tank bottom. How do I control the flow once I disconnect it? I have visions of some sort of valve arrangement.
I tried a cheap plastic transfer pump fed into the fill port. The red bulb split after 2 quarts and the hose is stuck in the collapsed tank....
I pulled the fuel level gauge under the first aid kit - the tank is quite full of diesel from this fall bought at nearly $5/g....
Thanks in advance for any advice.
Happy New Year.
Cedar

·
Registered
10,152 Posts
Quick and dirty, a pair of vise grips on the rubber line. Or the other end of the scale, a hand pump, but what you would spend may negate any savings. Didn't stop me!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks!

A simple but effective method for sure!

Any thoughts on cleaning a tank that had been sitting for awhile?

Thanks, Cedar

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
When I had to drain the gas tank on my 107 (well, actually it started draining itself, but that's another story) I borrowed a tool from a guy I work with. He said it was only about 10 bucks, and he called it hose pliers or something like that.

It basically works like the vice grips idea, but it's designed to pinch the line more completely and safely:

http://imageserver.isnweb.com/SKT7603 .jpg

Aaron

1 - 4 of 4 Posts