Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1985 - 500SEL
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering what everyone does. Mercedes sujests that the oil be suctioned from the dip stick, this is the way that I have taken to... Your Opinions???

And before someone says that sucking the oil will leave deposits... Well, it dosent...

·
Registered
Depends on the day!
13,337 Posts
Well, here is what I Have found.. if I use the suck up, I seem to get a good bit of the oil, but what I Usually do w/ my cars is allow them to drain over night. If I let a car that I used the suck up on sit over night there is more to suck up the next day and I think I'm less likely to get it all is the oil is cold etc..

So if time is an issue, I see no problem w/ using the suck up..on all my cars I drain it out the bottom and let gravity give a hand w/ getting the last of the crap out.

Jonathan

·
Registered
1984 280SEL AMG
701 Posts
Sucking is OK, but draining is better... Somtimes when you suck the oil out you don't get all the metal shavings out. Yes their is almost always metal shavings in the oil... Draing the oil from the drain plug gets more of the shavings out, since they settal on the bottom. Replace drain plug, add 2 quarts. let sit over night. In the morning pull drain plug to get more gunk out. Replace drain plug, add manufacturers recamended amout of oil...

Sucking the oil out is for when you change your oil every 2000 miles or less. since the build up of metal shavings is much less ( in therory )... They can still layor up on the bottom... EEEWWW SLUDGE!!!

My personal recamendation is to drain from the bottom... Goto a Mercedes Dealership to get a new drain plug gasket ( somtimes Nylon, somtimes plastic ).

·
Registered
12-Camel TT S600
1,794 Posts
well after u have sucked all the oil u can.. remove the dip stick, oil filter and oil filler cap. push compressed air / nitrogen down the oil filler cap and a lot of oil will gather in the pan

doin this in a hot engine is safer

1 - 4 of 4 Posts