Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a newbe to this forum and doing some work on my neighbors 1988 560SL. I opened the gas filler door and see that a puddle of water has formed around the base of the compartment. After drying it out, I can see a drain hole that is plugged with debris. I cleaned out the debris and ran a long wire probe down to clear any obstruction. I can see a rubber hose connected to this drain that disappears into a grommet on the inside of the wheel well. I gently probed the drain hole until the probe bottoms out. Then a water test and the drain still fills with water and forms a puddle. This has rust written all over it, so I want to fix it.

What does this drain look like? Where does it go ? How can it be repaired?

Thanks for any help on this.

Ken

·
Registered
1986 560-SL
57 Posts
Ken, It's more than likely a line going to the fuel expansion tank. There are a total of five different lines going to/from the expansion tank

·
Registered
8 Posts
Mine is doing exactly the same thing. Its very annoying when the well fills up with water and freezes. I also tried to probe the drain tube but the tube takes a turn and I can seem to push anything further to unblock the clog. Anyone else have any suggestions?

·
Registered
1972 350SL Auto
17 Posts
Try using a heavy guage electrical wire (5 Amp stuff you'd use for wiring in any accesories). It is flexible enough to negotiatre bends and soft enough not to destroy any rubber with which it comes in contact. I had the same problem, but it went away just before I tried this trick. I did it anyway just in case. Nice dry petrol cap now.[^]

·
Registered
73 450 SLC
58 Posts
A reply to a 16-year old thread!
The water drain line of my 73 SLC was plugged and water pooled until it rusted all the way through the fuel filler well. The water then ran down into the trunk where it rusted a BIG hole. So -- keep that drain clear!
But, while I was repairing the rust in the bottom of the fuel filler well, I accidentally covered up the drain hole entrance:mad:. I thought -- no problem -- I'll just push a wire up from the bottom. BUT, I can't find where the water drain line exits.
It appears to disappear into the wheel well.
Any ideas where the bottom end of the drain line goes?

·
Registered
1975 280SLC
45 Posts
It's a very common problem. On mine because I ended up with with a complete strip of the whole car I replaced it with a copper pipe quarter inch but because It was back to bare shell that wasn't too difficult.
The connection at the top of the tube is the real fiddly part.

Attachments

·
Registered
1975 280SLC
45 Posts
It's a very common problem. On mine because I ended up with with a complete strip of the whole car I replaced it with a copper pipe quarter inch but because It was back to bare shell that wasn't too difficult.
The connection at the top of the tube is the real fiddly part.
On mine the tube exits just in front of the rear wheel.

·
Registered
1988 560sl
4 Posts
You take a length of wire coat hanger in a drill Chuck and slowly run it down in an attempt to cleanit. The fact it's plugged usually means it's started to rust. The outlet is just above the bumper extension on a 560 and you may even see a little surface rust there. I wound up replacing the whole 1/4 panel.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts