some body know how to drain the gas from the tank ??:confused:

i search but i didnt find anything:surrender:

thank you.:thumbsup::eclipsee_steering:

·
Registered
1989 190e 2.6 1993 500sel (sold) 1995 S500 coupe (sold) 1994 S500 blk/blk
1,007 Posts
Siphon it out.
Unless there is an obstruction in the intake tube to prevent the stealing of gasoline, just get a long piece of plastic tubing, snake it into the tank, put a vacuum on it and let it run into a large plastic container.

You can create the vacuum by sucking on the tube until the gasoline starts to flow. Might leave a bad taste in your mouth for a few seconds.

There may be other ways and others on the forum may be of better help.

·
Premium Member
1997 S600 (sold)
4,660 Posts
I suppose you're suspecting bad gas or water accumulation in the gas, which may not be a bad thought.

I have been under my car, and I have changed my fuel filter, but I cannot remember if the fuel line to the fuel pump comes off the very bottom of the tank or not. If it does come off the bottom of the tank, then I would think the easiest method (if you can lift your car easily and safely) would be to disconnect the fuel line from the fuel pump and allow gravity to drain it into a pan or tank.

If you wanted to, you could then put a short pick-up hose on the fuel pump and put the hose into a small container of fresh gasoline and see if it will start using fresh gasoline not coming from your car's tank.

I still think you need to verify that your fuel pump is working and delivering fuel pressure to the engine's fuel rail.

Brett

·
Registered
400 SE
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I suppose you're suspecting bad gas or water accumulation in the gas, which may not be a bad thought.

I have been under my car, and I have changed my fuel filter, but I cannot remember if the fuel line to the fuel pump comes off the very bottom of the tank or not. If it does come off the bottom of the tank, then I would think the easiest method (if you can lift your car easily and safely) would be to disconnect the fuel line from the fuel pump and allow gravity to drain it into a pan or tank.

If you wanted to, you could then put a short pick-up hose on the fuel pump and put the hose into a small container of fresh gasoline and see if it will start using fresh gasoline not coming from your car's tank.

I still think you need to verify that your fuel pump is working and delivering fuel pressure to the engine's fuel rail.

Brett

the fuel pump is the original , so i think is time to replace it , but first i will follow your advise and try to connect the fuel pump line to fresh fuel in a container .

thank you all for your help , will post the results:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

·
Registered
1989 190e 2.6 1993 500sel (sold) 1995 S500 coupe (sold) 1994 S500 blk/blk
1,007 Posts
is this the only way ?
Brett has given you the better advice, but siphoning is an easy way, but I would edit my previous remark by saying that using a rubber hose as a siphoner may be better; not sure if gasoline may break down some plastic as it does with styrofoam.

Also it may be better to use metal containers to hold the siphoned gasoline.
Whatever, BE CAREFUL. Siphoning should be done in the open air.

Good luck.

·
Registered
400 SE
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Brett has given you the better advice, but siphoning is an easy way, but I would edit my previous remark by saying that using a rubber hose as a siphoner may be better; not sure if gasoline may break down some plastic as it does with styrofoam.

Also it may be better to use metal containers to hold the siphoned gasoline.
Whatever, BE CAREFUL. Siphoning should be done in the open air.

Good luck.

than:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:k you , yes the car is ina well ventilated area , i will post pics

·
Registered
1994 s600 coupe
685 Posts
if you pull the hose off under the hood, i.e. from the fuel cooler or fuel regulator, and turn the key on, attach a longer hose to the existing hose and clamp it, you can run a long hose over the fender of the car, into gas cans, and pump all the fuel out of the tank. or, if you have the car up on ramps or lift, pull line off the fuel filter/pumps, and pump it out there.
if memory serves there's also a fuel tank drain plug on bottom of tank ??

·
Registered
1999 S500; W140.051
734 Posts
If you're just changing the fuel pump & filter, it isn't necessary to drain the tank.

You will get some gas draining out and running down your arm when you swap out the filter and the fuel pump, but even draining the tank won't prevent this as the fuel filter is still full of gas. It's a little messy no matter how you 'play it'.

Gas won't just drain out of the pump, so you do the filter first. Then when you are ready to do the pump, you get the new one next to you and take the old one off; plug the hose with thumb; then swap the new one in 'all in one play'. You get some leakage each time that thumb or pump is off the hose.

Draining the tank for that would make the job a lot harder.

One other note: You may need a new Oetiker stepless ear clamp. My late W140 had that on the O/P side fuel pump connection.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts