Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
These are my thoughts so far on the acceleration of the E55. One of the main reasons I bought the E55 was for its power, for which it has a decent amount, but not quite as much as I had expected. Being an avid drag racer, the posted ¼ times in the magazines is what got my attention. I was amazed at the fact that 13.30 @ 107.1 MPH (per Motor Trend) and 13.60 @ 106 MPH (per Road and Track) was attainable in a 4 door automatic sedan. When I first drove the E55 I was impressed at the power, handling, as well as the braking all across the board. But I knew instantly this car was nowhere near 107 in the quarter, so I decided to wait to pass judgment until I did some concrete drag strip testing. Wow was I disappointed, I have made over 10 complete ¼ runs down the strip so far at two different tracks in “optimal� (70-75 degrees, low humidity, almost no wind, very low elevation) weather conditions, 12000 miles, the car was completely empty of jack, tools, spare tire etc…. The very best time was 13.939 @ 102.44 MPH with a 2.188 60 ft, launching at 1500 RPM and letting the computer shift ESP off. This is after a long string of low 14’s at 101 and change. What gives? Do I have a dud? I checked out Auto Week and they ran a best of 13.90 @ 103.5 MPH, which sounds more like the ballpark. Has anyone run better times? My E55 is at EuroMotorcars getting it’s A service, and has a somewhat rough idle, maybe they will replace the motor with one that runs some numbers!!!! Seriously though I love this car, its just not as fast as I had assumed, I will stop whining now so give me some feed back!!! Thanks guys.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks everyone

Thanks so much for the feedback. I had the E55 checked out at Euro Motorcars, they said everything checked out OK. I figured that the best thing was to get it dyno tested, anyways after 3 runs the best numbers were 289.5 HP and 301.1 lbs/ft of torque. Now compared to Mr. Vanos' posted numbers Iam a little on the low side, but if you go to Oberklasse's website, Iam within the ballpark with resspect to their numbers. The tech who dynoed the car said it looked as if the car was lean up top and not getting enough fuel. The only two dyno runs I have read (other than mine) did not have air/fuel data logging, so i have no comparison. So Iam left with contacting Euro again and maybe having them re-program the computer or something along those lines. Well again thanks guys and I will keep you all in touch with any changes.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts