Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2003 E55
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just picked up some drag radials and was wondering
what kind of wear i should get out of them? do most people just run them all the time?
I'm head'n to the drags this weekend will post time sheets!

·
Premium Member
U took the old religion from the woman on the hill.
43,670 Posts
Drag radials wear out very soon since their rubber compound is so soft. 2k miles is about it. They are horrible in the rain too, since they do not have deep grooves. Still the car will drive ok in the dry. I would not do sustained high speed on those as they are usually not speed rated.
Please let us know what times you get. Remember to turn off the traction control, ac compressor, and have the tranny in sport mode.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Shane - 3/16/2005 2:06 PM

Drag radials wear out very soon since their rubber compound is so soft. 2k miles is about it. They are horrible in the rain too, since they do not have deep grooves. Still the car will drive ok in the dry. I would not do sustained high speed on those as they are usually not speed rated.
Please let us know what times you get. Remember to turn off the traction control, ac compressor, and have the tranny in sport mode.

Good Luck!
This information is only partially correct. Basically your two options for drag radials are either the Nittos or BFGs. The Nitto drag radials are much better for daily use, though, as Shane mentioned, they are not as good in the rain or adverse weather. The grooves are MUCH more shallow than a regular tire, and the compound is softer. However, in colder weather, the tires become much harder than regular ones, and thus you'll spin a lot more (if you don't heat them up).

Many people get 8,000-10,000 miles out of a set of Nitto drag radials for daily use. This doesn't count track use, which can eat up a considerable amount of tire life.

The BFG drag radials are much, much, more sticky, but have about half the life of the Nittos. Additionally, the tread is even less conducive to wet conditions and I wouldn't drive in the rain AT ALL with them. It's not like you're driving on slicks, but it's definitely not advisable.

I'd say a pair of Nittos would do you good enough.

·
Registered
2003 E55
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
domcall - 3/27/2005 1:03 PM

what are the best tires that any one has used so far.
for evryday use and going to the race track mich ps2's with out a doubt! drag radials are for drag strip and st racing only.

·
Registered
3 Posts
ITZ A DRAG

My congratulations to the man who sees fit to "drag race" his finely built German motorcar.
I thought they were too good for that - what was I thinking?

·
Registered
2014 E63s AMG
319 Posts
OK very simple. A drag radial is for drag racing. Do not assume that you run full pressures. If you were to drag race a real radial tire, running full air pressure will assure the widest tread contact. Drag radials are like slicks. Lower the pressure, go through water and heat them up.

I just hosted a drag even at Atco raceway. It was for E46 M3s. We had 7-8 of them and the rest were Cobras or Saleens. I personally brought a 8 sec Mustang. The Cobra owner had drag radials and was experienced in using them. Alot of the M3 owners had them as well, but never used them. They were blazing the tires through the 60ft. One of the M3s was S/C and still he should have hooked it. Think, they run in the 7sec range on drag radials now. I am sure a 13-12 sec M3 would hook. Then they told me they were running 32 pounds. They dropped the pressures and the cars started hooking. Typical drag radial race pressure is 10-14 pounds. Burnout required. I will be hosting another drag race day at Atco in a few weeks. Spots are almost all filled. If anyone in the NJ areas is interested, email me. It is afun day or relaxed drag racing. 9:30-4:30

1 - 8 of 8 Posts