Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I am thinking of running my '01 E55 at the track this spring, just for fun. I don't want to run it on my street tires, or the 18" rear wheels. Anyone know what options I have for cheater slicks or drag radials, and what type of inexpensive wheel can I get for the rear to mount these track tires to?

Kevin

·
Registered
233 Posts
Three options to consider is our cars are really fair weather cars anyway so if you want to change tires you could probably get away with running BFG drag radials on your stock 18x9 rims for the summer months.
If you want to have a pair of drag only rims/tires getting something bigger then the 18x9's will be tough as the stock rims are about as big and wide as you can go in our wheelwells. Maybe you could go to a 17" rim and get a taller drag radial?
IMO the stock tires really don't spin all that long from a dead stop and going to drag radials may not be worth much 1/4 mile time improvement on a naturally aspirated e55. Maybe trying some different air pressures would help as well, air up the fronts and air down the rears?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was thinking of going down to a 17" rim, so that I could get a taller tire. I was hoping to do this so not to burn up my brand new pilot sports, as well as get a little better traction this summer at the track.

Kevin

·
Registered
20 Posts
we use Nitto 555z the first drag tyre thats street legal, get good times with nitto, i run a 10.2 quarter with them.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What wheels are you using? I was hoping to get an inexpensive set of 17 or 18 inch wheels for the rears.

Kevin

1 - 5 of 5 Posts