Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've read many of the transmission threads and none I can recall quite describe what I'm experiencing.

I got the car with 89,000 miles changed the fluid before 100. Changed the plug thing on the tranny, no oil getting to the control module. The way it shifts has not changed since I got it, i.e., changing the fluid or filter didn't make any difference.

What is happening is when I coast down from a higher speed to a lower speed the transmission often doesn't downshift until I press the gas to accelerate then it shifts down and causes a jerk.

This can happen at different speeds in different gears.

Upshifts are fine, no slipping or flares or anything else that seems weird.

I've done the transmission reset process numerous times and have noticed no change before or after.

Is this normal? If not, what are the likely culprits?

·
Premium Member
1998 E320 base sedan @ 160kmiles
5,814 Posts
Hello :).

I guess you have no CEL and codes associated.

Have you checked the ATF level properly (fully warmed up transmission in Park engine running, with the correct dipstick tool). ?

Have you tried running with the gear in 4, and then 3 , rather than Drive, and see if the harsh downshift occurs with these gear selections ?

Have you checked your transmission mount ?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey thanks for the reply!

Correct, no warnings on the instrument cluster or my autozone scan tool.

1. Yes. Appears OK. I'll double check.
2. No I have not. Will do tomorrow.
3. I looked at it. Doesn't look destroyed but doesn't mean it's not tired, not really an expert at that one. I'll explore this more.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, I drove some and tried coasting down and accelerating from different gears and it appears that it's worse when it's in D, or OD or 5 or whatever it is.

Seems like it wants to hold onto this gear longer than the others.

·
Premium Member
5,814 Posts
Does page 13/7 describe your issue ? if not, which one in the complaints section ?

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you for that trouble shooting guide.

Harsh downshift definitely describes it. Looks like I need to gather more data to see if it fits into one of those categories.

It seems to me its more of a 5-4 downshift issue but it has happened in other gears too.

·
Premium Member
5,814 Posts
Looks like I need to gather more data to see if it fits into one of those categories.
Good idea.

I would drive it in 3rd gear and see if it has the same problem.

If it is the separator plate, it is the plate between upper and lower valve bodies, and costs about $60. If you can get a used valve body from a Junk Yard, at a reasonable price, it would be a more practical solution IMO.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Does page 13/7 describe your issue ? if not, which one in the complaints section ?
I have same problem. harsh coasting downshift however I am not sure if it is 4-3, 3,2, 2,1 as manual attached has different remedies.

I thought it was ignition related! I was also prepping for a fluid drain/fill for the tranny hoping it would help. However, "harsh coasting downshift" is exact description.

Is this a DIY repair? the seperator plate? "ETC" repair kit mentioned in the pdf? are these shade tree mechanic friendly or is that a big fat no?

·
Premium Member
5,814 Posts
One can buy the separator plate and repair it, if one follows the instructions in the guidelines, however it may be more practical to replace the valve body with a known good one.

This is, if you are certain that this is the problem. It may not be related to the transmission itself. It could be related to a bad MAF, transmission mount, etc. You need to observe other signs (vibrations, roughness) at idle (in gear, or P/N), while accelerating etc.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts