Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would someone be kind enough to explain what a double clutch is? What is it's purpose and function and how does it differ from a single? How do you know what your truck is equipped with? The previous owner said he thought my truck has a double clutch, but he didn't know for sure.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Just like the word says, you have twin disks and two concentric drive shafts, when you depress the clutch the initial travel will decouple the motive drive, when depressed fully it will decouple the PTO.
What kind of truck do you have?

·
Registered
404.s x VW-Lt
189 Posts
A double clutch is for the engagement of the PTO's. (power take off axle's to front rear)

Usually when you press the clutch pedal halfway in you can change gears with pto's still full working. Only when clutchpedal is full down you can select also the PTO range (and gears offcorse). Im not really sure if this is the working order on a unimog, on several older tractors i worked with it works like this.

Also you have some unimogs with a "torque clutch". this means you can select with normal clutch a gear and stay still (with brakes on) in (every)gear while the "torque clutch" compensates. When you release the brakes you will get moving slowly and exellerate when pussing the throttle.

rgrds, ronald

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi Andrew! It's a 406 and it is equipped with 2 speed front and back PTO's. It is on blocks until I fix some things and I have only driven it a few hundred feet.

Greetings from the USA Volksmog!

So it is reasonable to assume that it probably does have the double clutch. When you are running the road you should only depress the clutch half way. Do you find half way by feel? I can not engage my PTO with the engine running and clutch fully depressed, I have to shut the engine off and then engage it. I guess this could mean the second clutch needs adjusting or repair.

Thank You Gentlemen!

·
Registered
'76 406.145 Doka tug
290 Posts
It shouldn't make any difference to push the clutch all the way when driving if you are not using the PTO to drive something. Engaging and did-engaging it's clutch under no load won't prematurly wear it IMHO. Pushing the pedal to a halfway point would be learned by practice when trying to change gears while operating a mower for example. I think I could tell you if it has a double clutch based on the installation survey. My guess is that it does but I would need the model, 406.xxx U xxx , and last 6 digets of chassis number. The motive and PTO clutches are adjusted seperatly, hopefully that is all that is needed.

·
Registered
45 Posts
You can tell by looking at the clutch lever arm on the bellhousing. A long arm means its a single plate; a short arm means a double plate. Long/short are relative...without measuring, I think the short arm is about 4 inches or so.

Also, you can look at the clutch assembly through the inspection opening. The double clutch will have three adjustment points that consist of a set screw and locknut.

If you get yourself an owner's manual from your friendly Mog dealer, it explains all of it.

·
Registered
419 Posts
I second that, I think an owners/operator manual is a must, is a small book that explains how to operate the vehicle and how to service it, tires and pattern installations, brake adjustments, clutch adjustments, schedules, types of lubricants, how to use the different gears like opening the gates, cascades etc, filters, cold weather operations, how to work the truck and a lot more.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you everyone! It must be the double, because the lever is only about 5". Also I remember now that I was jumpy with the clutch, so it stands to reason I was letting the pedal out like a normal clutch and I think you would engage it differently for smooth take off.

I do have a manual, but it only makes reference to the clutch and doesn't give information about the function.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts